Monday, May 12, 2014

Camping In The Best Weather

 On a cold foggy morning, a good stop is this bakery in town. I have woke up wanting to head this way many times. This tiny town of Pella, has two bakeries on it's square. The one pictured is the smallest, but a real charmer. It is a town originally settled by Dutch immigrants and maintains this heritage resembling many towns in the Netherlands. I buy something always different and enjoy a small gift/coffee shop nearby called the Sanctuary, to get a cup to go or  some coffee beans to take home. Both bakeries make a "S" shaped pastry called Dutch Letters, that has been a favorite for many visiting this area, as well as the locals. My youngest being pregnant enjoys my stopping on the way to visit her and getting a box of these delights. I camp and fish a lot on nearby Lake Red Rock. It is one of the largest lakes in the state and I have explored every nook and cranny. I have ridden my bike into town many times seeking pastry comfort, wondering how many calories I added riding the twenty five mile round trip.


 Fish skull
Twin-crested Cormorant
Great Blue Heron standing on a log out in the lake.
A smile



A Bald Eagle must be nesting nearby. It  is kept company by a group of gulls.

Real bad clouds move in out on the prairie.
Is it time to go home?
 
Hail fills a newly planted flower bed at the farm, with the sirens sounding three times for tornado warnings.
 
 

13 comments:

  1. When we have wild weather and tornado warnings my Shih Tzu is nowhere to be found. Into the closet he goes, or he gets under something. He knows a storm is coming before I do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun post! My favorite pic is, of course, the bakery. Followed by a close second...your furbaby!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The bakery sounds like must stop kind of place. After that you got some good bird shots.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm betting that those bake shop goodies would have added more calories to me than to you since I wouldn't be doing the long bike ride.
    Cute flower smile

    ReplyDelete
  5. Scary but a good small town bakery (of which there are only a few left here in southern Minnesota) makes it all worth while...:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I Love a good donut! Bavarian cream filled....sigh....
    hughugs

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the moodiness of the lake. Nothing better than a good pastry from a good bakery.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That bakery sounds like a winner. My father was so happy when a German bakery opened up in his little ocean-side town. He definitely keeps them in business while energizing for his beach walks and photo adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have never tried those pastries. Beautiful pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't think it is a small shop. It has many things in it for sale. Good collection of photos. Fish skull is superb!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Steve, a daughter's urging is a great excuse, I mean reason, to visit a local bakery. I was even looking for a photo of those S shaped treats as there's no calories in looking!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the gray pictures, but I hate those tornado warnings and do not miss them since I moved from Oklahoma. Since being in Portland, I've come to appreciate the lack of a glaring sun.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Calories don't count if you eat a pastry while riding a bicycle.

    ReplyDelete

Keep it positive and informative,I enjoy hearing from you!