Friday, March 7, 2014

It Even Sparkles






The cold winds blow and bring more snow to the prairie. It is tough on all of us, some of us unknowingly fall into cabin fever. You must stay active like you do other months to avoid it. It can come at any time of year if you don't get out. The mundane lives early settlers had of not seeing anyone for months at a time often created a chaos within some families. I don't have this problem since I play hard all year long, but there are some days I would rather be at the beach rather than standing knee deep in the snow. The wind woke me up in the middle of the night and I knew a soft blanket of  new snow would greet me when I got up in the morning. On this day I headed over to the Mississippi River between Clinton and Davenport, Iowa and observed my favorite winter visitor, Bald Eagles.











 
A mile marker in Princeton
 

 Hanging ten, floating backward downstream on an ice flow.

 This pair was greeted by a flock of Lesser Scaup, a diving duck migrating toward the north.



It would be nice to walk across the street and board your boat or have a picnic along the bank of this mighty river.


11 comments:

  1. Wow, those eagles. What a great cabin fever breaker!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sparkling, wonderful photos. How did you manage to follow the eagles so long?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've only ever seen eagles in photos but we have a resident red shouldered hawk that comes to drink and bathe in the natural filter for the water lily pond during the dry summer and s/he is awesome. I would go nuts if I lived where it snowed so much for so long.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your key point is to get out no matter what. At this time we know spring is definitely close.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How cool is that -- floating backwards.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the eagles! We had a hatch this year. first time ever. The only water around here is the creek which runs year round. My Mom always posts pictures of eagles on her blog also.
    www.smallcityscenes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great Eagle photos. The first one is a classic. Yes, fantastic winter and more to come I hope.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A mighty river with handsome eagles. One of our favorite take a break rides as we live about an hour away. I've seen eagles do some strange things but never ride down stream backwards on a small ice floe...:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm Back!
    LOVE the eagles!! Super shots!
    hughugs

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are an expert at beating cabin fever :) Awesome pictures of the eagles

    ReplyDelete
  11. We had a couple of sparkly snow days here also. You're so lucky to have all those baldies. We have a few around here .. always a treat to see. Great pics, as always, Steve.

    ReplyDelete

Keep it positive and informative,I enjoy hearing from you!