Thursday, February 6, 2014

Oh Deer

 That inquisitive look, a often quick one before running of deeper into the woods. Serene beauty that can be hidden almost next to you, unless you are looking with intent of discovering these lovely creatures. Their sight is much different than ours. They rely more on sound and scents. That nose smells better than a bloodhound, and often tells them what is near. One may see babies seemingly alone, but mother is near. She  just wants to mask her scent away from these tiny young ones. This time of year large family groups may form, more just searching for good sources of food or places to rest safely. Being denizens of the edge of the forest often leaves them next to the roads and makes it very unsafe for them when drivers aren't ready for that burst in front of them. ( Right Ann) Sometimes I have seen the same one before and recognize a good friend. I always thank them for a good shot, and perhaps they do the same since I am not putting them on my table. Here they are corn fed just as a good cut of beef may be and feed many families. In a few weeks I like to look for antler sheds, a discovery of many large bucks that I had missed. A good place to look is along trails where they jump over fences. I laugh when I put them in flower beds and later find them all over my yard thanks to little dogs and squirrels. When spring arrives I look for morel mushrooms beginning around the middle of April. A good luck charm is seeing a group of yearlings who have formed a new "family" after being pushed out of the nest for new arrivals, and having a Blue Jay telling them of my arrival. It is fun to see over a dozen all running together. In the revised words of  Eeyore, "Oh Deer, oh me, oh my."



















9 comments:

  1. The thing that has always struck me about deer is the open innocent looks on their faces. Maybe it is their big round inquisitive eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous photos of the deer.. They are such awesome critters... AND--they were really giving you an eye-full!!!!! ha
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. You got some great shots, Steve. That buck is especially beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are some awesome photos. Normally I like to pick my favorite...but I love them all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is so much nicer seeing them like this as opposed to when they are unexpectedly darting in front of your car.....lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice shots.

    Thank you. Love love, Andrew. Bye.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful. I love morel mushroom season.

    ReplyDelete
  8. they're all thick and fluffy with their winter coats. very nice shots.

    ReplyDelete

Keep it positive and informative,I enjoy hearing from you!