Saturday, February 8, 2014

Fun In The Sun

 The colors and translucence of the ice was catching my eye on this cold morning. I saw green and blue like one might find on a glacial field. Most of what I saw was ice heave around the shore, sometimes huge, from the expansion of the lake ice. It was cold when one got close to the shore, the wind picked up the cold from the frozen expanse. It moved through my layers of clothing, perhaps seeking warmth that was soon gone. I shuddered and ran back to the warmth of my vehicle, kept somewhat warm by the sun's rays. Ten (-12C) seems to be top temps, so one must dress warm. Yesterday just taking my glove off for a short time numbed my hand in just a few minutes. We have had lots of snow since I shot these which will be shown later. When I got home I thought of my mother pushing us through the back door and down the basement to take our clothes off after playing outdoors. It was hard to get boots unbuckled and clothing off with numb hands, to race up the stairs and use the bathroom. I put a loaf of rye bread in the oven that I had left to rise while gone and returned to my basement for a bit and relived more childhood memories. It had been a few years since I had made a tunnel through a snow drift, but I was able to review a few through some very good memories.
 The green really came through this area





 This made me think of Key Lime Pie topped with a nice meringue.
 

 This huge Burr Oak always catches my eye. It probably is well over one hundred years and has seen many changes over it's lifetime, out on the prairie.

I also took portrait pictures of all the deer on this day.
 
Lookout ! There was eight in this group.



 


 


Looks like a nice pillow, but I always fear waking up as Rip Van Winkle did. I thought I could hear laughter close by me, but the cold and wind can easily disorient one with nature's beauty surrounding in every direction. On this day a large area of pond grasses made the best place to just stretch out and enjoy what warmth one could absorb. Try it and you may like it, laid back out on the prairie.

13 comments:

  1. Snow tunnels. I recall those. Little kids trying to dig through the large drifts between the sidewalk and street made by the snow plows. One driveway to the other. Don't think we ever had the stamina to make it all the way through.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know. It still looks pretty cold where you are. Nice pictures of the deer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that one of the deer galloping across the road. I am so spoiled as an adult. I remember the same as you described here of being so cold my hands and feet would be numb and how it hurt to have them thaw out. But when you're a kid it's worth it all to be able to play in the snow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the deer... You really captured "cold". brrrrr

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that's cold. I do recall loving to make snow tunnels in a drift.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cold indeed. I really like the thought of the key lime pie though. We recently had one where it originated! Yummy......

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing captures. From the ice, that forms a breathtaking barrier to the sea, to the majestic oak holding its ground firmly.y The deer shots are just icing on the cake. Lovely nature images. Have a great Sunday.

    Mersad
    Mersad Donko Photography

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't know about stretching out on the grass in the winter ,but nothing beats it in the summer. Lake ice has all kinds of variations. I like the green of the plants showing through.

    ReplyDelete
  9. no snow tunnels for me. the sun hasn't been out here for days and days. ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The sky, the ice, the oak, the deer...all beautiful, Steve.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It does look a bit cold but still very pretty. I actually got out there today but only to do some shoveling.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great shots. I can always go for some key lime pie...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Now I'm COLD and HUNGRY for Key Lime Pie!!!Hahaaaaa
    Great shots!
    hughugs

    ReplyDelete

Keep it positive and informative,I enjoy hearing from you!