Wednesday, January 22, 2014

River Ice Walk






One wrong step could be your last, or maybe making you a little sore and lame. Some tricky stairs and icy trail ahead gave evidence of the recent thaw. The riverbank was a stretch of smooth ice formed, I should have brought my skates. The stairs are at the end of a nice bridge getting you over the stream in the first picture above. It was hard to say which was harder, getting up, or getting down these frozen stairs. They lead to an almost entirely frozen trail so it was best to walk in the snow to the side and exposed leaves. I thought about glaciation and small similarities on my hike this day as the snow and ice moved down the hillside. The dogs didn't care, but a slide off to the river side was often steep and would have been hard to get back up. A trip up the hillside appeared to be less treacherous, but a challenge when coming down another side that had not melted clear of snow. It was 9 F or -13 C on this cold January day, out on the prairie.







 
Huge slabs of ice dotted the riverbank
 
Tree shadows streak across the Des Moines River, at Ford's Crossing, along the Mormon Trail.
 



 Ice squirrel
 
Flying dog
 
Still  in one piece, thankfully.

14 comments:

  1. Somehow I thought you were closer to Council Bluffs. Anyway it is so cold and your pictures show it. I do like the snow squirrel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many good pics. I really like the bridge shot and the flying dog. hahaha!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sure looks pretty out there but I prefer to enjoy it from the warmth of my living room....lol
    Love the flying dog, so cute

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have some nice long gray winter shadows. In a few months the canopy will shade this out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That trail sure does look treacherous. Glad you came back in one piece. I always love your flying dog shots.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wooo---be careful when you are out on a walk like that one. We love to hike in winter --but there was one time I put on my brakes. We were hiking in the Smokies during the winter --and came upon a HUGE patch of ice on the trail. On the right side was a steep mountain and the right side was a big drop-off down the mountain.. There was nowhere else to go to get across that dangerous area. Hubby would have tried it --but I said NO WAY. I'm pretty brave --but falling there could have sent us down that mountain... I just couldn't try it!!!! That's the only place I can remember saying NO to when we were hiking... I've been in mud, fallen down a hill and gotten really dirty before --but there was NO WAY I was going across that ice in that one spot. ha ha

    Be careful
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  7. It certainly is beautiful but I just do not go outside if it is below 30. I admire those who brave the elements though. It seems to indicate a hardy soul.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the flying dog shot! I was out running today. it was 6 degrees and windy. I was fine except for my feet. I had layers everywhere but there. I need to figure out something to keep my toes warm in these temps - the wind was blowing right through and they just never warmed up. I cut it short - only getting in 3 miles.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't miss icy trails right now, but the beautiful pictures make me miss the hikes I haven't been doing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks unnerving. I already took a slip-slide down on my driveway last week. This sure is a cold and challenging winter.

    Flying pooch is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can hear your feet crunching on that cold, cold snow.

    ReplyDelete
  12. While the scenes were pretty, Steve, those icy steps would have put me off walking there. I will always choose walking in snow, even if it's a bit deep over walking on icy patches, call me whimsy. Nice last shot...did the dogs take it for you as it was definitely NOT a selfie.
    To answer you question in our blog post on bean & kale soup, we do not grow cold weather crops, but the supermarket has them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ach! It looks so cold there... love that stone bridge.

    ReplyDelete

Keep it positive and informative,I enjoy hearing from you!