Friday, January 17, 2014

January Fun

The wind began to make the window whine, an eerie sound in the night. Polar cold was moving in quickly after a few days above freezing. It reminded me of a house I had lived in as a kid that often was real loud when windy, and wondering if that house was alive or just complaining. Snow has melted on some slopes , yet remained along others. A fast melt created large ice fields along the river, making it hard to amble about in some areas. I pulled on a sweater and listened to the night, wondering what would be there to greet me in the morning.

 
The sun leaves and snow starts just for a few minutes.
 

 
If you look at his legs, one has a band on it. We haven't banded in this area for three years so this is an old timer. Always nice to see old friends.
 





Sun followed by brief interludes of snow changed the day back into winter cold.
 
 

13 comments:

  1. wondering if that house was alive or just complaining

    What you wrote above is pure genius. When I see little birds in the cold, I sometimes wonder if their beaks quiver from the cold. . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. great shots of the birds and I love the dried up seed pods.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope the birds stayed warm. A friend in Minnesota says this winter has been like when we were kids - lots of snow and cold. Nothing mild about it. Stay warm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Old friend is beautiful! Great shot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stunning pictures. Interesting that the blue jay is banded. Why do they band the blue jay?

    ReplyDelete
  6. very neat spotting that bird with the band.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The old wooden houses on the prairie would moan and groan from the wind. They also creaked as they moved back and forth in the wind.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful bird captures. Always nice to see a little sunshine. Takes some of the unpleasantness out of the cold temperatures.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your pup is so cute all bundled up!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I miss the shutters on my old childhood home banging in the wind. Somehow that sound made me feel more snug inside the house. Love the bird closeups.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The tufted titmouse is always such fun to watch around the feeders. Ours take a sunflower seed then fly off to crack it open before returning for the next one. This is so unlike the cardinals who simply stay at the feeder and crack open one after another. You have finches, and I am envious.

    ReplyDelete

Keep it positive and informative,I enjoy hearing from you!