Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Gotta Love It

Whether one likes it or not, winter is here to stay for a bit in the Midwest. It is unavoidable, so one must look at ways to enjoy it. Ice skating and sledding are my two favorites, it seems I can't get out enough. Dress good with layers and shed when you feel too warm is the best. I always take a pack when hiking just to have a container for those extra clothes. It will stay past this next month and has been known to linger harshly into April. This is a time for nature to sleep and offer a different view of the world around me. One can go into the deep woods where during spring and summer the undergrowth would stop you. I enjoy baking breads and preparing food totally different from my warm weather fare, although I still like to grill. Just put on a pot of coffee, and am laughing at the dogs eating some licorice they begged to have. Stop by and join me for a cup and a good laugh. It is always nice to have your company , on a cold winter day, out on the prairie.






The Gothic House Center made famous by a Grant Wood painting, "The American Gothic", will even lend you clothes and a pitchfork to recreate the famous painting. I go over to eat in this town occasionally for the best pork tenderloin sandwich. He painted his sister and dentist standing in front.



 
Eagle eating fish along the Des Moines River
 







16 comments:

  1. Those eagle shots are neat. How interesting about the house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh ice skating, I haven't done that in ages.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some beautiful photos here, Steve. I especially enjoyed the barn, eagles, river, and sunset. Enjoy your cold-weather fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the pony with his/her butt to the wind! So fuzzy and warm with all that winter hair! :) Beautiful pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like the pony needs his hooves cut. I loved seeing the American Gothic house and I think it is so funny they let you take a photo in the poses. Glad to know they have humor. Thanks for the walk.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you don't know which way the wind is blowing just look at a horse or a pony they always have their back side to the wind..
    Great pictures.. I like the old barn..
    have a great day..ta ta for now from Iowa:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome photo of the bald eagle flying away. Yes, I think this winter may take some extra time to end.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your post reminds me of how much I've actually been enjoying this winter. I stay in on the coldest days, but I've been doing plenty of exploring on many of the others. I wish I could find bald eagles like you do though. I think I need to go a little farther from home for them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. ...doing my best to go with the flow this winter. Great shots Steve!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I enjoyed our time together! Thanks for your hospitality.

    ReplyDelete
  11. doesn't look like you got mountains of snow from the latest storm. looks plenty cold regardless. great shots.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your Prairie is certainly beautiful no matter the season. Happy hiking, sledding, and skating!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks always for such wonderful sights. I love that you got such good shots of the bald eagle. I've seen a couple around here but they've been elusive for me.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Steve, so I was expecting to see a photo of yourself sledding or skating. And, how neat it would be to see you dressed and holding a pitchfork at the Gothic House

    ReplyDelete
  15. That next to last photo is fabulous! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Keep it positive and informative,I enjoy hearing from you!