Monday, January 20, 2014

Cold And Windy


The clouds move in and take away any of the sun's warmth. Wind penetrates all of your layers and to maintain warmth you must keep moving on. A steep hill offers a challenge and once at the top one needs to  open a layer, perhaps even take off gloves or hat, and enjoy the view around and below. Snow begins to fall, but only for a short moment and the sun returns. Colors absorb the warmth and the area changes a bit, just enough to catch your interest toward a new photo. It may not be there when you return, or may be totally different when viewed from another angle. Ascending the hill was one challenge and now descending may put one on all fours going backwards so as not to slide and tumble. Little dogs are running around you in circles, finding hidden scents and treasures on their own to investigate. Sometimes when I crouch down for a shot I am met with a lick or just a barrier to get a clear shot as they join me on my hunt for that perfect picture. The pond down below gazes back at us with its cold icy eyes.




Those first tracks in the snow show a path a fox took that crosses my own.
 

 
Hickory nuts make me hungry for a cookie
 










17 comments:

  1. I was going to say, when I first arrived here that that first photo was my favorite until I saw the rest. so many beautiful shots.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You really have to go looking for beauty this time of year -- and seems you found it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do love the first the best.. also the one of the bench and the one below that. Of course they're all lovely. You sure have less snow than we do.. it's about thigh-high here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice mix here. Great cloudy sky shot. Winter provides many photo ops. I found cool turkey tracks. Aloha

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks cold. I'm not too sure I'd like it. But there are some intersting things to see there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There are a number of lovelies in this set, Steve, but I'm going with the one after the bench photo as my favorite. The flower itself is pretty, but the background really sets it off. Nice series.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i can feel the chill in the air but it still looks like a nice day. I really like that bench

    ReplyDelete
  8. Winter can be beautiful the way it startles the senses. The photo here where the sun is breaking through the clouds is so typical of how when all is cold and dark and getting you down, there comes the sun.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You certainly see a lot of good photos out there. I like your description of climbing the hill and warming up.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The pond down below gazes back at us with its cold icy eyes.

    Steve, love how you described that patch of ice. So many gorgeous photos -- the frozen stream reminded me of Robert Frost for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
  11. As always I appreciate the walk. The cold wind has made this winter a little harder to bare. I have to bundle up to go snowshoeing. I keep forgetting to take my camera. Stay warm.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Steve, Your photos do show that it's a COLD winter. Two inches of snow here today (first one for us this winter)--and SO pretty. BUT--going down to about 2 degrees tonight... Gads.

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  13. You give a good view of winter, and a good story of it as well.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Some nice photos.

    Thank you. Love love, Andrew. Bye.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That ornate bench is pretty. We had sun, glorious sun, today.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I could do with a little cold and snow, as long as the sun comes out afterwards.

    ReplyDelete

Keep it positive and informative,I enjoy hearing from you!