Thursday, January 2, 2014

A Little Bird Told Me

 
 Goldfinch in winter molt colors
 
" I want to be a Blue Jay," my father often said. He thought this would be a animal if he was reincarnated that would suit his attitude toward life. I always like to hear their call when I go into the woods, they alert all of a entry into the wooded kingdom. They are a very smart bird and very allusive to catch on camera. A jay calling and seeing a group of yearling deer is my lucky charm when I am out looking for morel mushrooms. It almost tells me I am  so near to my quarry. They seem to group as cardinals do during the winter so one always sees a few when out in the woods. My mother used to say, " A little bird told me," when she had an idea what had happened during a circumstance that we maybe weren't telling all the facts on and I wasn't sure I liked that little bird.  I stared birding in 1969 and have had a lot of pleasure  discovering a small denizen of the forest ever since. I go through over 300 pounds of seed during the winter and donate to a few areas that have good viewing areas. What is your favorite?



 
Black Capped Chickadee
 

 
 Tufted Titmouse
 
 
Junco
 
 
 Northern Cardinal
 
 
 Look how it holds the seed to eat it
 
 
White Breasted Nuthatch
 



 
Grey Squirrel



20 comments:

  1. The birds are great! I like the squirrel too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have captured a nice variety. They are so colorful. I have been simply amazed at the number of posts about birds in the last week. It seems as if we all consulted each other before we wrote them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always enjoy watching the birds. Cardinals have been a favorite of mine and finches are always a pleasure to see

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorite is the cardinal...just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How does one choose a favorite bird? I'd have to say ALL of them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the blue jay, we don't have them here. On the west side of the state, we have a type of blue jay. Its real big and noisy. They would get in the walnut trees and take all the nuts!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You really know how to ask hard questions. How could I cut things down to one bird. I will tell you that the first bird I ever remember seeing was a mallard drake!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your bird photos are fantastic. I have a very tough time catching them on camera. My current favorite is the Pileated Woodpecker. He loves the patch of trees just outside our kitchen window!

    ReplyDelete
  9. we see all those except for the nuthatch I think. not sure about the junco but we think that's what those birds were that showed up for several weeks at the feeder. we also get a little yellow warbler that winters over here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love all the bird pics. Do you use a blind to be able to get so close? Awesome shots! The little squirrel is precious.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I kinda like that little tufted titmouse. But they all are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am with your dad. I love blue jays. I know others think they are naughty birds, Your bird photos are wonderful. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I must say I'm not a fan of the blue jay, although blue is my favorite color so automatically they rank. But those in my back yard send away the chickadees, titmouses and cardinals. So, blue jays are out. I never knew how much I liked birds until I looked at my old writings and found how often I wrote of them. Interesting where writing can take us. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Enjoyed the birds pics in this post, Steve, and we have most of these same ones at our feeders now, especially cardinals and titmouse. Not as many blue jays now, but still a couple visit now and then. Thanks for the holiday greetings which we read after our return from NJ...much appreciated and we wish you a great 2014!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love watching the birds at my feeders. I keep meaning to take the screens out so I can take photos from indoors!

    And my son would love another snow day, the problem is, you have to make them up sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I always love seeing birds. You mentioned how elusaive blue jays are to capture on camera. It took me years to get my first one. They've been the most frustrating for me.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think people are wishing for warmer weather with all this talk of birds. You got some real good close-ups here.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Quite a variety of critters at the feeders. I especially liked the photos of the jays. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Well---my least favorite is that pesky squirrel... Another NOT favorite bird is a European Starling.. They are bullies at the feeders. Favorites of mine: Eastern Bluebirds, Cardinals, all of the woodpeckers, Tufted Titmice, Chickadees, Nuthatches, Finches, Blue Jays-----etc. etc. etc... ha ha

    OH --how I love my little birds. I feed them year round --and more in winter.

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete

Keep it positive and informative,I enjoy hearing from you!