Sunday, December 1, 2013

Even A Gloomy Day Can Be Fun

With the Des Moines River low, it was fun to go down near Keosauqua and explore the sand bars and small streambeds in the state park. Dogs are wound up with lots of energy to hike for a few hours and hope to find treasure. This is at an area that was used as a river crossing along the Mormon Trail and I visit here often. In Keosauqua is a favorite family ran ice cream stand where one can get black raspberry soft serve always. The  entire county is void of commercial fast food restaurants and doesn't have any stoplights, so is a very laid back area to explore. There is a charm with this river and I have explored it for hundreds of miles upstream at Fort Dodge, and all the way to the Mississippi River by kayak and canoe.












 
Hold still for what picture, we need to wrestle!
 








Wait we were just starting to have fun!

16 comments:

  1. The dogs seem to enjoy each other. That's good. I wasn't sure how Lily would take to having "competition" for your affection. Fun photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the river! Any day spent outside is a good day. And add a few dogs - PERFECT! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun photos, Steve. Gotta love all those paws and hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. the two dogs look like they are best of friends. Love the blur they made in that one picture....lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great late fall photos. Dogs love the leaves to romp in .

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great day. I love seeing the dogs play.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like the canines and the photographer were having a fun day, Steve. Pat/Grenville said to let you know that a fresh ciabatta would be welcome with leftover turkey as there are no bakeries here where we live.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Black raspberry ice cream. A neighbor in Salt Lake City had a black raspberry bush. So thankful they would let me stand next to it and eat while we chatted.

    Fort Dodge - I've been there. My uncle was a Lutheran pastor in Pomeroy, long ago.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Lily! She will love a friend-

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can see why people feel compelled to engrave hearts there. It is a beautiful place.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fabulous place and a great place for your pups to enjoy themselves. That black raspberry ice-cream sounds divine and would feel good for my throat right now ;) I did get a strawberry milk shake which fit the bill. Have a great week Steve!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Steve !
    I am glad to be able to watch your blog again.
    Great serie !

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love it. "Devoid of fast food places" and no stop and go lights. Well. our country has only one so we're in a similar boat. Life in the slower lane works well for me...:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. A great series of images. Good to see my home state as winter approaches!

    ReplyDelete

Keep it positive and informative,I enjoy hearing from you!