Tuesday, December 31, 2013

A Cold End Of The Year




 The wind whipped across the frozen water and picked up extra cold to add to it's penetrating force. I was dressed with multiple layers, but it still found its way to chill me. I kept moving hoping to ward off the cold, but it stayed with me all morning. Little dogs dressed in pink camouflage  didn't seem to mind since a walk is what we all needed to ward off the cabin fever from being inside all morning. I was looking for a Pileated Woodpecker, hoping to find it in a area I had seen it the year before. What a good year this has been, lots of new discoveries and total enjoyment of life out on the prairie. I soon forgot the cold and laughed at the antics of the dogs so oblivious to the cold as their noses kept seeking out scents around. They helped pace me well and we soon found a huge flock of geese in company of three eagles. There was still a small channel running on one side of the river that is the attraction of these mighty birds. They stay in this area to hunt all winter. Coming home I counted over fifty in a mile stretch roosting for the night. A friend stopped by for dinner and it felt good to have enjoyed a frigid day outdoors.












Happy New Year to all from Out On The Prairie
 

 

18 comments:

  1. A lovely set of images, Steve. It does look like a cold end to the year. It appears that at least one of the pups is exhausted after the day's outing.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a fun day. I'm stuck indoors with a cold. I love the arbor at the end. Is that yours? Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are such beautiful pictures! Best wishes for a Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy 2014 to you and yours. My wish for you is a year full of lots of JOY, PEACE, LOVE and BLESSINGS.

    Happy New Year. Gorgeous photos today!
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  5. The pup has the right idea! A nice nap after a brisk walk outside. It always makes me tired too! :)
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brrrrrr.... Wishing you a Happy New Year!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It does look very cold there.Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great examples of the look of the cold winter. I've been enjoying myself outside in the winter cold.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hej Steve, what a lovely collection of photos from a cold day. The three eagles are looking at lots of good food, and they might be "licking their lips!" I found the Pileated Woodpecker on wiki, it's a fine bird with some fine colours. Right now the sensation here in DK is an Ivory Gull at Hanstholm in North Jutland and a Snowy Owl, also in Hanstholm reserve.
    I love the photo of the dog with a sweater. It is so cute.
    Winter photos are so beautiful. The blue shadows in the white snow. And although it is freezing cold it is a beautiful day to experience. We've got a very mild weather here No snow for the children's holidays!
    I wish you a Happy New Year. Thank you for visiting my blog.
    Grethe ´)

    ReplyDelete
  10. it's very cold here also but we don't have those beautiful blue skies. Happy New Year

    ReplyDelete
  11. A beautiful set of photographs. My favorite is the sun shining through the naked winter tree hardwood branches!

    ReplyDelete
  12. A beautiful set of photographs. My favorite is the sun shining through the naked winter tree hardwood branches!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such beauty! Happy New Year to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The big birds are adapting. I'm assuming there on the Missouri. They have been staying nearby sixty miles from the Big River all winter. I'll be curious to see if they do that if it stays so cold much longer this year....

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the pink camp pullover, Steve.
    Happy New Year to you and Many thanks for the holiday greetings. Time ran out for me to complete all my holiday cards this year with our sudden NJ trip. But, there's always next year.

    ReplyDelete
  16. My southern constitution can't handle cold so I guess I'd have to hibernate if I lived in where it really got cold a lot. Glorious photos!

    ReplyDelete

Keep it positive and informative,I enjoy hearing from you!