Saturday, November 16, 2013

Over Hill, Over Dale












Mile Hill Lake has been one of my favorite kayak venues. Fishing comes and goes, with some nice bass. This lake always has a good selection of birds and marine life to watch when fishing is slow. I spent one day after another trying to get a good photo of a Belted Kingfisher, without any luck. I watched as a beaver built a new home far in the back and hoped to see a new family this spring. I watched a mink den and never did see more than their tiny footprints until one day seeing them flee from my oppressive shadows. Fall is rounding up, one dusting of snow reminded me of the future of boating may come to a halt. Coming home one day I found the rural fire department at my home. School was out for the day and matches on my deck made it fun for some youngsters to start a fire in the huge piles of leaves in my tiny yard. The wind sent it across the yard and it attacked a shed, and worse of all a pair of kayaks. All that is left is a small green and yellow mark on the ground. I couldn't believe how the plastic burnt, but it was so hot it fueled the shed. Inside were all my lawn and garden tools, and a few good memories. When the insurance guy came he offered little encouragement to repair. I will have to submit replacement receipts and he will determine from previous age of belongings what value he would contribute. One of my bikes that I use for tours will never be returned at 25 years old. When I first bought it I maxxed out a card to get a matching pair. At least the children were safe and hopefully learned a lesson. I can't be too bitter, they met a hand on the seat I am sure. I had enjoyed their visits and relived my childhood with them a few times. Life goes on, out on the prairie.

19 comments:

  1. So sorry for the loss of your kayaks and other special things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too bad about your shed. It'll take you some time to replace the things that can be replaced. As far as the lake goes, well there's nothing like a peaceful day fishing. I'm not a picture taker so I spend my time watching and thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry to hear about the fire and the damage it caused. I do hope it will steer those kids away from any future attempts at playing with matches. On the other hand, your photos are so pretty. Fall colors galore.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your post has some good and some bad. I'm sorry to hear about the fire and the damage it did. I enjoyed the beautiful fall colors.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful fall pictures. I'd throw a line in that lake anyday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also am very sorry to hear about your fire but glad it didn't attack your house. Hard enough to deal with what was ruined and the mementos that were burned up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh no. I'm so sorry to hear about the fire. Kids don't always think before they give into some impulse. I hope that they can make amends with you. It can be a great learning experience. Unfortunately, it's at your expense. Gorgeous photos though. Autumn is alive and living in your neck of the woods.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so sorry. It is hard to believe something like that happens, but it does too often. I sure hope those kids learned a lesson. I did appreciate hearing the memories.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow Steve.... Awesome Autumn colors... I'm sorry that ours are mostly all gone now. Fall seems to come and go so quickly... The 6th photo from the bottom should be framed... That is incredible.
    Hugs,
    Betsy
    P.S. Sorry about the fire though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so sorry about your shed and the special contents. How disappointing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a bummer! It sounds like it wasn't deliberate vandalism but still.....:(

    ReplyDelete
  12. OOoh wow!!! So sorry. I hope a lesson is learned and sorry for your losses...

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh what a shame. I'm thinking there are some youngsters in a whole heap of trouble with their parents

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Steve...I am so so sorry to hear about the vandalism at your house. Thank God the house was safe... I know how hard it is when others invade your world in such a way. I'm sure they didn't mean to burn down your shed and all the treasures inside but still. So frustrating...
    On a nice note, I wanted to tell you that I published your favorite church today. Thanks so much for telling me about it. It is really lovely and I wouldn't have known about it otherwise!
    Again sorry about your shed (and the bikes...) But it sure sounds like you follow the precepts of this lovely church in your forgiving heart.
    Blessings!
    Melanie Ann
    Oh...and so interesting abut the minks... Imagine!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's a sweet little lake. And that fiery oak against that intense blue sky! Sory to hear about the mischief of kids.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm sorry to hear about the fire. Probably the last thing you expected. Hope putting that list together will recall many fine memories.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sorry you lost all that stuff in the fire. I see your trees changed color for fall. The leaves around here only turned a dull green, and are now all falling off.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Steve, after reading about your losses, I thought to myself that you were much more forgiving than I might have been in the same situation. Of course, as yiu said, these are only things and no one was hurt. Sure hope those kids learn some lessons from this episode.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You are a tolerant soul who takes great pictures. I would be bitter, losing precious possessions whose replacement cost far outstrips their value.

    ReplyDelete

Keep it positive and informative,I enjoy hearing from you!