Sunday, October 6, 2013

Migrating Thoughts

 
Fall means forming flocks to head south. Here a large flock of turkey vultures has found a resting place on a set of towers. It is pretty impressive to see so many of these large birds. When they head out, the bald eagles fill in their place.
 

 
A good friend we all called Cowboy, loved watching his herd. He said it relaxed him the best over anything else in his life. We soon called his gazing, Cowology, and a few of us enjoyed joining him  and listening to his comments. Stories arose and often he would point out siblings from the same mothers, tell what was so pretty about each one and even had names for most of them. When I go out the gentle gaze catches my eyes now. I can still hear Cowboy and his stories told both in the field and at a local coffee shop a group of us frequented. His happiness still floats across the land, on a gentle prairie breeze.
 










The start of fall colors
Begins with bright yellows
And soon oranges and reds
Across the prairies.












Fading blooms
Leave us now
To find us again
In another year
Out on the prairie.

21 comments:

  1. some really excellent shots there Steve. re how I smooth the wax, I use naptha, a solvent, on my finger tip or piece of chamois. someone told me I could use orang oil which I am going to try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom is like Cowboy. She knows every black cow and what every one of their calves were like. They all looked the same to me. Love the photos. I needed some sunshine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the lighting on the weeds in #10 and the unique cloud in #14. I imagine you miss Cowboy. Sounds like a neat guy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the description of your story teller. I can see him holding his daily audience.
    Fall hasn't really arrived for you . You have lots of active flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those turkey vultures are amazing.. so many of them, and your photography is lovely. Nice tribute to your friend Cowboy. May we all be remembered so fondly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cowboy sounds like he knew the secret to happy life and was willing to share it. Beautiful shots

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous how the prairie's turning. The colors are so vibrant. I think Cowology makes more sense than Psychology!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, all those vultures on the towers is amazing! Love the backlit grass you caught... I'm your newest GFC follower and RSS subscriber...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful pictures. The old guy around here is just like cowboy. Love his stories from his father and grandfather. :) What a beautiful blog. You have a new follower.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This part of the prairie is slowly watching snow melt. Green leaves on the trees and covered in snow.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the pretty white feather in the sky.
    On beginning of november I will migrate in another country where I shall be able to see several beautiful flowers. Trees do not lose their leaves and there are flowers all the time. Cows come from Africa.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The color peak will be here shortly. It is a special time of the year....:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great Fall post Steve, this just about says it all.

    I am still in Germany but was able to get on line today and moderate some comments. Wedding celebrations are winding down now :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are all SO pretty Steve...he sounds like a Happy man...
    hughugs

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the Fall colors in the Prairie.... We saw quite a bit of color on our latest trip... Bet listening to Cowboy tell his stories was awesome... People with a passion for what they love and do are so interesting to listen to their stories.

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  16. The colors are slow to arrive this year. Happy trails my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Amazing photos - particularly the clouds and the turkey vultures!
    Blessings,
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  18. I like your cowboy story. I find a flock of migrating birds interesting to watch when they are all together in a tree...or cell towers!

    ReplyDelete
  19. It looks like the turkey vultures are trying to get in touch with Verizon on the cell towers. Can you hear me now?

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love that story on Cowboy and I most certainly can understand how relaxing it can be just to watch animals!

    ReplyDelete

Keep it positive and informative,I enjoy hearing from you!