Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Last of Summer Blooms

 
 A Wood Duck swam past after flying away and returning. He had a large family who didn't want to get close. The last of the blooms remain in a protected garden, fall is here and summer has met it's end. The duck and family are soon due to head south.  It is sad to see all this change, but the color change is  fun. It is always nice not to have to live with air conditioning and have the windows open. I will enjoy seeing a lower bill and sleeping with just night noises lulling me asleep. I like to wrap up in blankets, but always am reluctant to give up my blooms around home and out on the prairie.
 













 
A large praying mantis has had a good year. This particular species is happy in my area and a treat to watch hunt. This was on my door waiting for me to get home.
 
 
Fishing is almost over, perhaps a few trout will lure me back out.
 

 
Dixie keeps track of everything I do. She tells people she has to mother me or I get way out of hand. I will share some of the bread I am making with her today, as I do with many of the other things I cook. She is a good neighbor to have, but sometimes a bit bossy. LOL

 
I needed a reading lamp next to my bed and after a great deal of shopping found this relic at Goodwill for $6.99. I wanted something unusual and found this golf themed lamp to accent my well decorated man cave. What a classic, a real one of a kind. Going to a number of lamp shops made me think back many years shopping for a chandelier for a formal dining room. Think about looking up for an entire day, it makes your neck ache.

12 comments:

  1. Lots of pretty purple flowers. Dixie sounds fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The golf-themed lamp is definitely unique! Perfect for a man-cave. I enjoyed this last look at summer blooms. The group of purple and yellow blossoms were beautiful, as was that unusual flower in #8. Great set!

    ReplyDelete
  3. pretty flowers, nice to see some still hanging on. Cute lamp

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh! The colors! I'd be loathe to give them up, too! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a bit of a jolt for summer to leave but we must realize that fall is a great season and so is winter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I miss the flowers most now that they are going away.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful post, Stave.
    Pretty flowers and nice skies.
    I love your lamp.
    I have a lot in my home.
    I love lamps.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Most interesting. Your mantis picture made me think on the only one I've ever seen here in Bluff Country. They must be quite rare or stealthy. Or both

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love gold and purple flowers. They ring in spring with daffodils and crocuses. They end the flowering year with asters and goldenrod!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I especially like the mixtures of colors when several types of flowers are together. That praying mantis reminds me of the time my sister was getting a coolie sheet from the oven so she could preheat it to make a cake. There was a nice big mantis staring out at her. She screamed until one of our brothers took it out. I'm still not sure how it got in there.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dixie sounds wonderful! Love all the photos and our cooler weather as well.
    hughugs

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good to have a neighbor like Dixie to keep you in check, Steve. The colors are still vibrant in your area, but not so much here where we are waiting for fall to kick in...maybe by late Nov. Thrift store finds are the best way to decorate!

    ReplyDelete

Keep it positive and informative,I enjoy hearing from you!