Thursday, October 24, 2013

Baby Boot Camp

 The call came and I was happy to see who was calling, a daughter. "No matter what I say these kids are not listening. They are driving me crazy and will not mind." It was a sound of a worn out and very pregnant Mom. " Meet me at the farm and I will take them and give you a weekend off," I replied. "A little Baby Boot Camp with Papa?" she said. I hoped the shirts would still fit that I had printed with the Baby Boot Camp logo . It is nice to have the pleasure of their company, knowing at all extremes they would be happy to see their parents in a few days, and I would take a deep breath and remember the fun we had. The colors are out and my back forty full of tall grasses and beautiful trees for us to explore. I had a huge box of books and goodies I had acquired since I last had them so it would be fun to spoil them rotten. We started at a favorite malt shop, having malts, onion rings and assorted pie to share. On the way home a huge flock of gulls appeared and seemed to be coming out of the clouds nonstop as I drove down the highway. Perhaps 5-10,000 birds easily lasting for over a mile. The just kept adding on to the flock and I was truly amazed. I have seen some good sized flocks, but this was by far the largest. I pointed them out and was met with a look that said what the heck, birds. Well, sometimes it grabs them. My happiness floated off on a gentle prairie breeze for all to enjoy. I hope you felt it.














 
And of course how could it be a complete weekend without this baby, Lily.
 

 

20 comments:

  1. What a great time you will have out on the "back forty' with those two cuties. Sounds like a busy time. What a great granddad you are !!!! Have a good weekend. Mickie :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like fall there. Glad you got some quality time in w/ the grandkids!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, maybe the Grandpa nature gene takes time to mature. :) Glad you had a nice weekend with those precious babies. xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bet you had a great weekend with those two little cuties

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I'll bet your daughter could have kissed you when she heard your offer. You're a good dad and granddad. Your prairie looks wonderful in these photos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's great fun to have the grand kids visit. I'm sure Papa will look after them well.
    Is that reed canary grass in the photos? It's a real nuisance here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Easy to pick my favorites today...#1 is of course you and crew and #2 is Lily...hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  8. The best thing to do with kids is spoil them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It will be very happy to see the grand kids. Photos are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My daughter dropped her three teenage girls off last Saturday to spend the weekend for pretty much the same reason...we all need a break from each other, she said. I had to laugh at the malts and onion rings. When my parents picked me up from my first year at summer camp, they asked what I wanted to eat. Onion rings and ice cream, I told them. Great pics as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You've planted those seeds of nature without them even knowing about it yet. I'm happy for you, to see that amazing number of birds would be incredible. I have never seen such a large flock in my life. Great photos, an adorable one of you and the grands. What it is to have a grandpa who volunteers for baby boot-camp for a whole weekend. You are the tops in my book!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What fun. We had a similar experience with our grands from Arizona though they brought their dad with them...:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a wonderful mother and grandmother you are. The flock of birds sounds like ti was fascinating to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks like a happy family group, Steve.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nothing like a Grandparent to give the little 'mother' a break from her kids!!!!! Bet you enjoyed having them --and bet they 'behaved' for you...

    Hope you had a good week. We have been in Kentucky with friends... Had a fantastic time although it was COLD there.

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awwwww! I loved this post, but the first picture most of all!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Those kidlets are adorable, Steve. That must have been an impressive flock of gulls.

    ReplyDelete
  18. How awesome to have that time with grandchildren. Love baby boot camp! And that flock of birds. Oh my! Grab the camera!!!

    ReplyDelete

Keep it positive and informative,I enjoy hearing from you!