Monday, September 30, 2013

Making Rope




 
Putting four double stands together and giving it a number of turns. When it gets tight one pushes a cloverleaf shaped tool slowly to the other end and binds the two ends. Instant rope put together by generations of people at a tiny historical museum in a town called Weeping Water, Nebraska. What a unique machine provided by a very unique couple who devote long hours to maintain this tiny museum. I was impressed with what they had since this was where my mother went to high school and I  was blessed to see her yearbook and picture again after so many years. Boyhood dreams relived warmed my heart and soul.



 
This lady made her first rope on a grade school outing and had brought her children here during a fall festival to do the same as she had when she was their age. Simple fun and happiness found out on the prairie.


15 comments:

  1. What a great experience to have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool activity for kids. The process is simple but interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What fun! I would love to make some rope.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun thing to do, especially with children.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am going to have to run down and see this place. Thank you for bringing it to our attention.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's interesting. I've sometimes wondered how rope was made, but I would have never thought to find out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. well that's really cool. I like the name of that town.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd wondered at times how one made rope so really enjoyed seeing these photos and reading about the process. Very happy you got to see your mom's yearbook. Sometimes Memory Lane is a very nice place to pause a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very nice !
    You know Steve, in France under our King Louis XIV, a very very long building has been built to make ropes for navy, ropes made all in one block.
    royal rope factiry
    Click on this link.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What great memories you had there... How special to see your Mom's yearbook --and to know that she went to school there... That's special...

    Rope making is interesting and fun... I remember when my sons learned to do it --when they were in scouts.

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  11. How cool! I bet making rope is kind of therapeutic.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nothing like a long forgotten photo to rekindle the best memories of family and friends....:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. A lost skill being revived and enjoyed by many. Loved this post Steve. Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. How very interesting!! One of those basic skills we all should know but sadly don't.

    Thanks for telling me about the word verification. I got rid of it and will leave it like that until I start getting lots of span again!

    Blessings,
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice to read about these folks, Steve. Your nature posts are great, but every now and then it's great to see some of the folks you meet along the way.

    ReplyDelete

Keep it positive and informative,I enjoy hearing from you!