Thursday, July 25, 2013

Moth Of The Month,And A Few Other Thoughts

 It was only the beginning. I always stop at the back porch light because it invites a league of visitors. Many are ones I have seen, but occasionally I find a beauty like this Great Leopard Moth, who stuck around for a few days.

 
 Here is another insect party on this sumac bloom. Lots of beetles and a tiny wasp.
 


 
Eastern Kingbird
 
 
 White Indigo
 






As I approached the lake
I looked to see
A tiny Damsel Fly
Was going to join me
On a kayak exploring
Out on the prairie.








 
Common Green Darner
 
 
 
The first set of bluebirds I showed you a few weeks ago are getting ready to fledge. I left for north central Nebraska to camp for a few days and was worried I might never see them again. They are almost like family when you watch them grow and finally fly away. Mom and Dad both were buzzing my friend Dawn while she held the nest open for me. This one is a cylinder that screws off to view them.
 

13 comments:

  1. what a beautiful moth! I've never seen one. Lovely photos, Steve, and those sweet little bluebirds in their nest ... what a fine thing to have nearby...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really neat photos Steve, that is a beautiful moth, as are all the other critters, real pretty flowersand I especially liked the view looking at those baby bluebirds. You also identified a dragonfly for me. I took one this weekend, a green one that I have never seen before. It looks exactly like your Common Green Darner. Thanks for that and thanks for such a fun visit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoa, that's quite a handsome moth!! Enjoyed the entire post, illustrated by such lovely photos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That moth is just so beautiful. Great shots of it. And what a treat to see the little bluebirds. "White indigo?" Sounds like an oxymoron to me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. so many wonderful pictures today. That moth is amazing. Glad you were able to see the bluebirds again before they left the nest

    ReplyDelete
  6. In my humble opinion this moth photo is one of the best photos you have ever posted, in fact, one of the best I've ever seen on a blog. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Photos are absolutely beautiful. Love the bird on the wire.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glorious!


    ALOHA from Honolulu
    Comfort Spiral
    ~ > < } } ( ° > <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. such sweet things, little birds. I miss the wrens that I watched grow. a riot of larkspur, it blooms early spring here. and the leopard moth is a beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful images -- what a gorgeous moth. Have a super weekend Steve. xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have such lovely pics. That moth is a wonder and those darling bluebirds. I'm so glad they gifted you with their presence.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That moth is Gorgeous!!! Love all the photos Steve...they are Always beautiful.
    hughugs

    ReplyDelete
  13. Enjoy your trip, Steve. Moths seem to be such underrated critters compared to butterflies which always seem to receive more attention. Your capture shows the beauty of a leopard moth which would really be interesting to see with wings spread...if you get another chance to capture it.

    ReplyDelete

Keep it positive and informative,I enjoy hearing from you!