Thursday, April 18, 2013

Six Inches Of Rain

These are some nice shots from a friend, Bumpy Rhodes trying to get down her drive. A road that lead to my old river home reminded me of why I enjoy being on higher ground. At the farm not too far away you have to put a plastic bag over the washer drain, but this year it was a little heavy with the last storm. I have homes on both of the southern corners of Iowa. Being near big rivers can have some problems, like when one uses a kayak to check on a home on stilts.





 
Many times when there has been major floods they describe it as a 100 year happening that happens every 5-10 years. The clean-up was hard and I don't miss that.One year I made the paper a lot helping  neighbors get cleaned up.My head swelled, it was hard to get through doorways.
 
 
A Reflexion



 
 
How many turtles?

15 comments:

  1. Holy smokes that's a lot of rain water. Geehs. But how I love that turtle parade!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lot of great shots here. Love the road closed one and oooh the turtles are wonderful. Love rivers, but the flooding... I can't imagine the devastation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, cool turtle shot!

    That is a LOT of rain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 'Tis the season, isn't it? We've had a lot of rain here this week and some flooding in the area, although our home hasn't been affected. Love the killdeer, and the turtle picture is just too funny.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Goodness.... that's alot of rain! Bet the critters like it though... We had rain and high winds yesterday and last night. Today is MUCH colder. Guess winter is not finished with us yet.
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very good!!Lol! Loved the Turtles.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a lot of rain! These are really great pictures.

    www.modernworld4.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh my that is a lot of rain. Unbelievable how much damage flooding can do too.
    I counted 11 turtles in the picture

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's absolutely awful to see flooding. We have devastated the landscape so that water has no place to go like be absorbed in the soil or sit there long enough to evaporate or be stored in a wetland. swamps have been drained, soil coverage is gone. Canals and drainage systems have been made to channel the water so that it runs somewhere else quickly. Who cares if it floods the next guy. The 100 year flood predictions worked before we denuded and then shaped the earth. Sorry about my rant because you know all this stuff..

    ReplyDelete
  10. My turtle count was 11 Steve. Sad to read about the flooding in many parts of the Midwest as this has been a week of many tragedies from bombings to explosions.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Maybe this means we won't have another drought this year.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I also counted 11 turtles.
    Floodings devastate countrysides and cities. It is awful.
    Have a good week-end, Steve !

    ReplyDelete
  13. Not looking good. We live on a hill maybe 50 ft. above the local creek.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the turtles -- I'm so sorry about the flooding. It's always something.

    ReplyDelete

Keep it positive and informative,I enjoy hearing from you!