Sunday, April 7, 2013

Happiness Carried On A Gentle Prairie Breeze

 As I sat at my desk a beautiful song was just outside my window. The sun was setting and I gazed out at the trees to see who was serenading me.I looked all over not seeing a soul until I looked on the ground and there was a robin singing his heart out, perhaps looking for the love of his life. Flocks have been passing through for a number of weeks and it is always a sign of spring when they arrive. I closed my eyes and imagined sitting in my tent, a event soon to happen. One of the many pleasures of tent camping is waking to the songs of birds. It often tells me it is time to go fishing, or throw the kayak in the water and begin my day with a happy note.I have been rearranging my van to get ready today. I finally took out the mittens and hats, along with my sled and skates to make room for warm weather toys.Tuesday we have a threat of a mix of snow and rain, but I believe it will be short lived. I plan on going over to the University of Nebraska and visiting Morrill Hall. This natural history museum has the largest assemblage of mastodons and mammoths.One of my brothers helped assemble some of the displays while he was still in high school.Lots of good  memories taking my family and friends here. I placed some blooms to cheer you up taken at a greenhouse in Mahoney State Park.I went to check out the iris garden there to see if anything was peeking up yet. They have over 35 varieties to enjoy. While there I was greeted by some bluebirds and shared their happiness. Our thoughts and happiness drifted over the land on a gentle prairie breeze, to share with all of you.








16 comments:

  1. Yes robins are a real sign of spring. I haven't seen one yet but they were seen about two weeks ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love, love, love these~~~~~except the snake! ewwww.... Are those bluebirds??? Don't tent camp anymore. Sold my popup...that was just a huge mistake!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a 240 square foot tent, it was a cheap excuse to contiue enjoying the outdoors cheap.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful sights, Steve, and it's obvious that you are looking forward to your getaway soon and we will look forward to reading your posts and following your adventures (and Lily's too).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Robins winter over here so they aren't a harbinger of spring for me. Where they are plentiful in the city I don't believe I have ever seen one at the country house.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice post and images. We actually saw a few robins during each month of winter, but they're back in force now. Love the bluebirds! What a treat to see those. Enjoy your soon-to-be camping trip. Take lots of pictures. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely images -- watch out for ticks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice to hear your writing, Steve. Very lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another great post Steve. Morrill Hall sounds like a wonderful place to visit, especially with the family connection. I enjoyed all these lovely photos. I also enjoyed your comments on my endangered squirrel post. It's nice to know there are others who enjoy squirrels as much as I do. Have a great week :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Neat snake picture. I've been seeing a lot of robins too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I finally started seeing robins here. Love all those flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful post, Steve.
    Beautiful phot, even this one of the snake.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Spring has finally come here as well! Going to be in the 80s! Sigh ... wish we had bluebirds.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Uthooooo! Backing out of the room now!!Hahaaa...Snake!
    hughugsssss

    ReplyDelete

Keep it positive and informative,I enjoy hearing from you!