Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Sandhill Cranes

 Mother Nature has been playing rough with us with bitter cold and of course a layering of snow. The birds are saying it is spring, rising up in flocks and heading for their summer homes.As I stood on the porch this morning watching a tiny dog dart around I was amazed at the symphony being offered to me on a first day of sun after many covered in clouds. A woodpecker kept the beat pummeling out a new home.A cardinal called out in joy to it's mate in a repeated stanza.All the other birds joined in to a lovely chorus telling me all was going to change, hopefully. Here in the Midwest nothing is guaranteed with the weather.In fact it usually is a topic often heard in conversation. Only a week before I was in Grand Island, Nebraska watching Sandhill Cranes all over the countryside. Driving west toward this town you don't see very many until you are almost there, and then you find the fields covered with them. This is the staging area for over eighty percent of the population. They come all month before going to their summer homes.A dance often happens where one jumps high in the air with their wings out. This is to music that has played for centuries for these magnificent birds. The song is carried across the land on a gentle prairie breeze.




















18 comments:

  1. What a great bird series - they look huge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look at them all!! I've only seen a few dozen in flight way up in the sky, and one or two up close and personal. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful pics. there are a couple of preserves down here where the whooping cranes winter over. don't know about the sandhill cranes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a sight that must be to see thousands of Sandhill Cranes on their migration and in their courting. Thanks for sharing these photos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great photos of the Cranes, Steve. My son takes pictures of them when they are in Texas during the winter. Wonder where they went when your weather changed back to cold/snow???? Poor little things...

    The birds are probably more confused than we are abut this year's March weather!!!! Ha... Still snowing some here today!
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  6. That must be a spectacular sight to see. I agree with Lisa, they do look huge

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful pics...I am going to Squaw Creek next week (if all the snow is melted) I sure hope I haven't missed all this. BF says I may be too late??? I sure hope not. After seeing your pics, I'm really excited!!! Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  8. We get the same thing in Saskatchewan. Feeding and dancing. They are one of my favorite spring birds. there were not many of them in the late forties and early fifties.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such poetry in their wings and of course in your words. Lovely shots.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't imagine the sound!!! How wonderful it must be!!
    hughugs

    ReplyDelete
  11. Grand Island was a favorite overnight and birding stop on our way to Colorado to see the grandchildren. Those flocks of Sandhills are fantastic....:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. It isn't spring and it isn't fall to me until the cranes fly over. They landed in Dad's cornfield one year. I was in college and missed it. I've never seen one up close. Just circling in the sky and then... gone.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hej Steve, wonderful pictures of the fantastic sandhill cranes. The cranes have come here too and I'm worried if it is too cold for them. I've just heard that lots of lapwings were found dead in the fields of the Waddensea in south Jutland because of the cold. It really is freezing cold, still, although the sun is here. The cold from Sibiria!! I long for spring like all the little birds....
    Cheers and Happy Easter
    Grethe ´)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderfull post, Steve. Sandhill cranes left the country also.
    Winter is still over here. Spring is very late and we do not hear the song of the kukoo-bird which is the signal of the coming spring.
    Excellent shots !

    ReplyDelete
  15. Girl, you have no idea how many times this winter either hub or I have seen the weather forecast and thought about you. Your area has really been blasted. We hope spring rewards you with the brightest tulips and the sunniest days. You truly deserve a lovely break.

    Happy Easter, Mary, to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice post and pics of the sandhill cranes. Sounds like you have a symphony playing when you wake up with all the "creatures and critters" adding to the chorus. Ahhh, the pleasures of living in the country. I too will be glad when the flowers bloom and the grass is green--tired of cold, dreary weather. Happy Easter. Mickie :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've never been out that way to see the cranes -- crazy since I'm practically a Nebraska lifer. Someday -- love your shots. Must be such an experience and we are so lucky to have them right in our backyard every year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. We do not have sandhill cranes in this region, so these photos really fascinate me. Nice to see such large numbers. We still have a couple feet of snow but spring will arrive eventually.

    ReplyDelete

Keep it positive and informative,I enjoy hearing from you!