Tuesday, March 5, 2013

A Little Bird Told Me

 Black-capped Chickadee
 
 White-breasted Nuthatch

Dark-eyed Junco

Tufted Titmouse

It is fun to watch the birds come in on a cold day at the feeder. They all take turns and share the seed well, without many conflicts other than a big guy with a camera.
 







 

 “A little bird told me,” my mother would often say. I wasn’t sure if I liked birds especially this one, since it was her source of a variety of information. I wondered for years where this bird talked to her at.  A grandparent had a pet who talked, but mostly in Italian. I knew that wasn’t the bird since my mother didn’t speak Italian much. We always shared outdoor love and I was in charge of helping her put up a variety of birdhouses. Her favorite was a tiny wren who often came into one of the houses, so I worried if this was the one.  She often talked how the jenny wren sang to her when she was doing dishes. With four boys things often were broken, got into and misplaced and a little bird often filled her in. Finally I asked where this bird was and was told she couldn’t give it away. As a younger sibling grew, soon he was the target of this bird also. Little did I realize that our facial expressions were what gave us away and that bird was one of us, not very good at fibbing. As my children grew I often watched for some of these signs that gave me my information such as rolling eyes or staring at the floor. When they wanted to know my sources I just said,” A little bird told me.” They never believed this could happen.
 
Cardinal
 

16 comments:

  1. What a sweet story. My mother used to say it too but I guess I was old enough at the time to understand the expression. In our case it usually meant that my sister was the little bird. That's a sweet collection of little birds are your feeder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing these tweets!
    Aloha

    ReplyDelete
  3. I grew up hearing that saying, as well. These pictures of your feathered friends are wonderful, and I enjoyed the stories from your childhood and parenthood.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My parents used that line too. Love all the shots of the birds.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So like the Tufted Fellow. I have always been scared of that saying...never sure of what was told;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great birdie photos, Steve. I have almost the exact same ones here. But--you are right. How do those birds know everything???? I heard that statement all of my life (A Little Birdie told me.) Hmmmmmmmmmm. Makes me wonder!!! ha ha

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  7. A wise parent never reveals the magic behind the trick.

    Love the little birds.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Enjoyed your bird pictures and story. My wife uses the "a little bird told me " line. I used to talk to my classes at school as to how their mothers were always the ones to get things out of them. they always agreed with me and we discussed how it was done. It was always an interesting discussion.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My grandmother also had a little bird that told her many interesting things. I love your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope they mentioned spring was on the way. We got buried yesterday as my back reminds me this morning...

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is my list of favorite birds. THey seem so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are so sweet, lovely photos. Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I fully enjoy your post, Steve !
    Beautiful photos and birds !

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are awesome pictures! Thanks for sharing this.

    www.modernworld4.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great tie-in, Steve, showing all the birds who could have been the tattle tale one of your youth. It seems that parents years ago used that phrase more than ones do today, such the pity.

    ReplyDelete

Keep it positive and informative,I enjoy hearing from you!