Monday, January 14, 2013

Some Of My Friends Are Turkeys

 
 
 
A pair of tom turkeys had rounded up a few hens.This seemed very early to me, but perhaps the mild winter provoked this rally to assemble a harem.Both toms were fluffing up with their best look, a spectacular sight to see. I always love to watch the groups of birds, size alone is always enjoyable  to be close to these regal birds. The clucking and songs were an added dimension to this experience. I had traveled into Southeastern Nebraska to survey a few lakes with a friend hoping to catch some good wildlife shots.An added  treat was finding an Our Lady of Guadalupe seminary I didn't know about and finding a tiny Audubon prairie to go to tomorrow.The sun went away, and snow started to fall as we explored a number of lakes in the Salt Valley and along the Platte River. The previous day I went sledding and skating over in Omaha, so I needed some down time to recuperate.ConAgra had set up a rink on their property downtown Omaha to raise money and food for the Food Bank. I plan on shopping the next few days to help fill the shelves at our local food bank, it is a favorite charity for me.
 
 
 
 
 

19 comments:

  1. Great turkey shots, Steve.. and all the birds, of course. Then there's your sweet pooch and a heart in the snow. As always, a lovely collection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful shots, Steve ! I have already seen some wild turkeys in America.
    Nice post !

    ReplyDelete
  3. You just have an eye for some cool pics... so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well some of my friends are turkeys too but I won't go there...:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful wild turkeys. We have been seeing many this winter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That one turkey (6th image) is showing some beautiful colors. I'd have loved to see that one with his tail spread. You got some great winter captures. Love the cardinal at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love starting my day with a smile!! Great shots!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent turkey shots!

    That's great about the food pantry!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The turkey friends put on quite a show.
    Good to see that you get out and skate. Most of our skating is in indoor arenas. Too many down days on outside ice. The ice in arenas is much nicer to skate in.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's been very cold here in Tucson, but somehow seeing your photos with the snow makes your area look colder.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I could make friends with those turkeys, what a great sighting. Enjoyed all these photos tremendously. Lovely ones of you and Lily.

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh boy your friends are real turkey's....lol That looks like a fun day. I haven't been ice skating in ages. I'de probably be in pain the next day now :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful winter shots, Steve. The turkeys looks so cold --out there searching for food on a winter day... Love seeing you on the RINK... Hope you didn't break anything!!!!! ha ha ... Miss Lily looks like she had fun...

    Thanks for showing some of your winter scenes.
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow you really captured the colors on those turkeys! Thanks for sharing. I love your walks.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice photos! Some of my friends are turkeys too, both wild and human.

    No shortage of turkeys around here this year the lack of food has them moving quite a bit in search of forage.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You have such cool pictures! I have never seen a live turkey before, but they seem great to see up close.

    www.modernworld4.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. You have quite a menagerie of critters! And a cute little doggie too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wonderful captures of the turkeys. I love your post's title too. How nice of you to help the Food Bank-- a lot of people are in need these days. Have a great weekend. Mickie :)

    ReplyDelete

Keep it positive and informative,I enjoy hearing from you!