Sunday, January 20, 2013

Snow On The Hillside

 Furry ponies
Gaze at me
Looking for a treat
I can clearly see.
 
The skies so bleak and snow work well almost giving a black and white effect to the photos. 
 
A Prairie Palace indeed, I bet that big hay door had a very unique pulley system to pull it shut. I love the contrast with the old wood and snow.
 
 
 
Compass Plant out on a Nebraska prairie 
 
 
I found this Our Lady Of Guadalupe Seminary with St.Micheal in front of its chapel.
 
A dragon made out of old tractor tires swimming out on the prairie. This is in a side yard of a Nebraska acreage.
 
 
 
A gentle snow once stood on the hillside. Through a few warm days it leaves only it's memory, winter once reinstated with a new onslaught of bitter cold. Patches remain having carefully stayed hidden from the sun, nurtured by the still hard frozen ground.
 
 
 
I like the luminescence on  the ice and snow with both the picture above and below. I played with this all afternoon using the angle of the sun to make them glow.
 
 
 
Snow trying to look serious,but it never did.I have seen a few flakes today, but think it is too cold. A friend said maybe an inch across the state to the East.
 

19 comments:

  1. I love B+W pics, used to do lot of Landscapes in that medium. Hand printed onto heavy Bravura paper,
    Used Agfa 50 or 25 ASA film. But loved my 5x4 Plate camera, with sheet film. Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those top three photos are absolutely gorgeous, so atmospheric. I also love it when the bleakness makes them appear B&W. Very nice .

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are all very nice, but that barn steals the show for me. I've never seen one quite like it, and that hayloft door is fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the barn...for sure my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that first pic - now those are some winter coats!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A good variety of winter shots. I really like the old barn which is not used and falling into disrepair. It must have been a palace in it's heyday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always appreciate the walk, but it was a bit chilly today.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love all these. and your playing to get a glow worked nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous winter shots... I love seeing the sun glistening on the snow.... Even though you haven't had much snow---it's still beautiful...

    I love the old barn shot also...

    Take care and stay WARM.
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful post, Steve !
    I love the barn, as usually.
    We got snow over here alos, twice on last week but just a little bit.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice to have a trip through the plains again. xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pretty snow shots--snow always turns the world into a "magical place". Brrrr, wasn't it cold to be out fishing? Miockie :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous! I think B&W photos stir the imagination in a way color photos can't. The barn photo is amazing! Had never heard of a compass plant. What a great way to travel through life! Hey, stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  14. We received about an inch (or two?) yesterday. Just enough to brighten the landscape.

    ReplyDelete
  15. All nice winter photos but the buck is outstanding!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What beautiful photos!!! A winter wonderland.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Enjoyed all the snow scenes, Steve, but you know how we do miss seeing nice white wintry weather...and luckily we are finally getting some here in VA.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Steve, I love your winterscapes, especially the metal dragon and the compass plant. What a poetic name that is for a prairie flower! Give Lily a hug for me- Betsy

    ReplyDelete

Keep it positive and informative,I enjoy hearing from you!