Thursday, January 24, 2013

Prairie Hockey


There was a sparkle in the air, perhaps created by the intense cold. It was a good day to stay inside hoping to see an increase in temperature, or the wind dying down so it didn’t go right through you. For an ice skater the streams and ponds were perfect with recent melt and freeze making mirror ice in places. It just called out to skaters to come and rough it up a bit. Out came the goal and the battles were ready to begin. Friendships often were tested and sometimes battles expanded. In the end, we all had a good experience having fun on the ice, and always ready to go back every year for more. Friendships were sometimes shattered, or at least put on hold sometimes. I had a grudge on one aggressive player for years, later becoming good friends. One friend quit skating entirely with me from a few (well maybe too many) body checks as we sparred one on one after many years. I had run an ice skate program for the parks and had too many miles of skating and playing over him. I still feel good to get in a small game and try to keep up with the rink’s stars. When I worked the ice skate program I went and bought many pairs of used skates at secondhand stores to take to work with me each year. A bundle of hockey sticks also came along. If you used the skates a lot, I often gave them to you. Often socks were put in the toes just so everyone had a pair. One night while taking a substitute rink I sparred with a five year old .I was impressed until he cut me down and I fell on top of him. He wiggled out and held out his hand to help me up and said,"Are you okay?" He went home with a stick.

 
 
 
             A short trip to the Joslyn Art Museum in Omaha and a somewhat current moon

12 comments:

  1. Hi Steve.
    Brrrr ! It veru cold over there !
    The painting of the woman is very beautiful.
    The scene of the battle in Little Big Horn, it is a suit case ? I suppose the other one with the american eagle and flags too ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My son would love that sport... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That pond is begging to be skated on! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like it. Ice hockey on a prairie ponds...:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It took me a minute to realize the pond was frozen. I though the goal was floating for a minute and I was trying to figure out how on earth they played hockey in the water.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ice skating is something I never learned to do, but my hubby used to play hockey. Methinks we're both a little too old for that stuff anymore. Lovely moon shot, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haven't skated in years, but you have piqued my interest!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh fun! It never gets quite cold enough here to safely skate on ponds.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love that piece of artwork at the museum and the lovely moon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the nets on this prairie ring. None of those cheap store bought nets.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't been ice skating in years. When I was a kid we had a neighbor who had a home made ice skating rink in his back yard for all the neighbors to enjoy. It used to be so much fun

    ReplyDelete
  12. Steve, I will take a pass on the ice hockey and skating cause I have trouble even walking in cold weather and making sure I don't slip. Walking in snow is fine with me, but ice is just not enjoyable. Looks like an interesting museum trip and being indoors on a cold day is a great thing.

    ReplyDelete

Keep it positive and informative,I enjoy hearing from you!