Thursday, October 25, 2012

October's End


That last little bit of color
Is slowly fading away
Trees shed their leaves
And as they blow away
They are getting ready to sleep
Under a blanket of snow.




 
 







 

 I took a friend to an oncologist. He had hurt his leg while running and tripping over a chair. When they did an xray they saw a few masses and wanted to look more at them. They said it is a type often found only with a similar injury.Two grandmothers sat across from each other, asking how long a marrow transplant would take, while their grandson played in a children's area. They heard no answer but looked deeper into each others eyes and grasped each other for a long needed cry. I wished I could have offered them an answer, since I had volunteered to donate marrow a few decades ago, but knew it wasn't always the answer to return one back to a healthy lifestyle.Things have gotten better with that dreaded word, cancer. I started working with Hospice in the late seventies while taking a class on Death and Dying.Many came into the program for a very short time, while many go home today.The children coming through hurt me worse to see.I looked at my friend and hugged him, it was hard to see what the doctor would say, but I knew attitude today was the best to have. Our lives can be so fragile, which is why I live life to the fullest, out on the prairie.









 

15 comments:

  1. Hope things go well for your friend.

    I really like the first shot of the leaf on the water.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all of the photos--such a grand "tour" of the Fall prairie. Your poem was nicely stated, but your commentary was inspiring--each day is precious and should be lived to the fullest. Enjoy your day. Mickie :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen.... We do need to live life to its fullest for sure. Life brings us no guarantees... So sorry about your friend. I will keep him in my prayers.

    Yes---it looks like cold weather is coming to all of us... Today, it's almost like summer here --but won't be this way too many more days! I saw on TV last night that Denver was down to 32 degrees....

    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope your friend will be okay. I very much admire the people who work with hospice. Thank you for being one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hope all ends well. I'm glad you share you full life with us, it's a lesson to me and a joy to witness your days my friend :) xxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful shots. It's hard to believe that October is almost over.
    I'm sending a few good wishes for your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The photo with the green leaves in front of the orange is a spectacular shot.
    We are all better off with a strong hospice organization in our community.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very poignant thoughts today, Steve. You're a good soul to minister to people in this way. Lovely photos, too...the flowers, milkweek pods, autumn leaves, and the contrails that are just one shy of a tick-tac-toe game. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another great serie of photos, Steve.
    I'm sendin all my best recovery wishes to your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. every day should be lived as if it was the last. it's a shame that we have adulterated our food and environment. cancer in kids is the result.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I totally agree, living life to the fullest is my motto, too, ...Love your pics with the last glow of fall. Have a good weekend, Steve.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Steve...I'm so sorry....Saddness seems to be everywhere these days...
    hughugs

    ReplyDelete
  13. Steve, very poignant post today and my thoughts go to your friend and so many others who are hurting. Living each day to the fullest is such great advice and yet so many people squander their time on useless activities like watching TVs or video games instead of being outdoors enjoying the fleeting beauty all around. Life is unfortunately too short. I admired your unselfishness in an earlier post in giving your furnishings to someone in need. You are indeed a kind and caring person, Steve.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am sorry for your friend's health woes. I'll keep him in my best thoughts. Lovely images, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such difficult topics to deal with in life.

    ReplyDelete

Keep it positive and informative,I enjoy hearing from you!