Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Fish Tales











It was hard to pick where to begin fishing, he had the pond to himself. A few casts and one pole was bending,as he called out in enjoyment, “I have a hawg!” Yes, a nice bass appeared with a short struggle followed by many more. A few bluegills also attacked his worms giving the morning a special feel while enjoying this pond, alone at last. He had brought many people here, but many times spent his time putting on hooks and worms for others unable to master this art. Often a pole with a fish on was passed to a silent gent, only to see a smile that lit up his world and a variety of stories, some told with nods and more smiles when reiterated at dinner. A friend asked at coffee the next day how big some he had caught were, and he said they grew each time the story was told. He remembered taking his children to visit a retired priest and the size would eventually reach around their backs. They knew the pleasure this man had hearing their tall tales, and often had them beefed up before arriving at his apartment with prodding from their father. The fish story had to be related to similar tales of folklore, the retelling often had a way of changing for the listeners in the audience. Once told to the priest the stories sometimes would be taken to other listeners in this apartment dwelling, giving pleasure to many who had or had not experienced the thrill of landing a fish and often listening just to enjoy an interaction with the young storytellers. With no worms left in his cooler, he reeled in another largemouth bass, and called it a day. A great day of sharing and caring with the outdoors, out on the prairie.
 


They get bigger when you pull in some weeds as well.


Two at once had me catching the handle of my second rod with my knees when it started flipping out of my rod holder.I flipped the first up on the bank and reeled in the second.

All were returned to catch another day, the knife is to show size being it is about the length of my foot. Bass are some of my favorite fish to catch and of course I just like being outdoors and can sit for hours.I used to carry a broken pocket watch to tell me when it was time to go home.My daughter has it now , as she shares her time doing what we enjoy best doing together.A highlight of my work is taking mentally challenged individuals out to this pond. I say since I am being paid to fish it makes me a pro.
 

16 comments:

  1. A good day's catch.
    ..and a great place to go fishing.
    Costas

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lily's getting pretty good at photography. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks like happy fishing. Love the moon shot!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks like it was a good day all around...great weather, relaxation in the great outdoors, fishing fun. Doesn't get much better than that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like a grand day. I love to fish. Bass and walleye most fun to catch. I do like the taste of the pan fish though - blue gill and crappie for breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like you had a very successful day of fishing but then of course you are a pro....lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great story and as with most fishermen the story grows.
    Good for you to take mentally challenged out to fish. I can see their faces when a fish comes in.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The pictures themselves make a great story. I imagine that is pretty rewarding, taking mentally challenged kids to the lake to fish.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah, this makes me want to spend the day by a stream. Nothing quite like that tug on the line! Well, that other than getting paid for what you love to do.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A pro indeed! In so many ways! Love that picture of the moon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Steve, looks like a great way to spend an afternoon and sure that the fish appreciated your catch and return practice, although a couple might have tasted good over an open fire. And nice to get paid for doing something that you enjoy so much. Thanks for the photo story.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fabulous day, nicely photographed!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the story and all the fishy fotos!!!
    hughugs

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow ! You seem to be a good fisherman, Steve.
    I hate fhising. I had some very bad memories whane i Was a little girl. Sometime, we went to the Loire River for a fishing day with pic nic.
    I took never any fish.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Life is good. A quiet pond. A easy chair. And the fish are biting...:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I used to fish a lot but not so much the past several years. It's such a peaceful sport. I love catching Bream, they fight like a whale might. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Keep it positive and informative,I enjoy hearing from you!