Sunday, October 7, 2012

A Passing Thought

As I walked down to the shoreline I was met by a greeter, wishing me a wonderful day. I had been contemplating the beauty that surrounded me and wondered how long it would last. With temperatures falling at night this beautiful spectrum of color could all be lost in just a few days and I didn't want to miss any of this colorful display. The smells, falling leaves, and enjoying a day on the lake were what I needed. I hope you can enjoy this day with me and my friend, Frog.




This Net-Winged Beetle,Plateros, enjoys roosting on this  Goldenrod.
 
The Loess Hills where I live has an almost alpine feel to  it in areas.
 




The flower of a sumac can be boiled, and with lots of honey or sugar make a pink lemonade.




Another friend stops for a nice chat and heads off to examine treasures I may not have already found.

See you later Frog, I hope you have a nice rest over the winter.

18 comments:

  1. I really enjoy your photos. Being from Iowa myself I love our state and the changing seasons and the prairie and hills. thanks for your blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi dear :) thank you for commenting Nancy's post on my blog 'wonderland'. I'm your new follower :) xxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a fine looking frog you had for a companion today. I was just thinking yesterday while I was out how all the fall colors will be gone in no time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like you and Frog shared a beautiful autumn day. I hope it's not the last of the season, but it's definitely taking a turn to cold weather.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful country you and Frog get to enjoy. Soon, very soon, yelp, it will be cold all day everyday. Ah well...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice trip around the lake. Plants are getting pretty ragged. We had a killing frost a few days ago so 90% of the stuff is gone.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Enjoyed both the walk and the descriptive info, Steve. No fall colors in our area yet; we usually have to wait until November or possibly late Oct if the temps get cold enough sooner.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You and frog know how to enjoy life! I had the song "Oh What a Beautiful Morning" running through my head as I looked at these pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a peaceful feeling from you photos!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have a nagging suspicion this winter is going to be an interesting one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for letting us trek along with you!
    Love Mr Frog!
    hughugs

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful landscape and floral. Especially like that froggy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That was a very enjoyable day Steve, thank you for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really love the way you combine words and photos to paint a picture that all of us can enjoy. This was especially nice. It's so nice to gander at your part of the world. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Isn't it fun to see the season's change? I love Fall--but hate seeing the frost kill our flowers...So far, we haven't had any frost yet...Glad about that!!!

    But it has been cold here lately. We've enjoyed a fire in the fireplace all week...

    Great photos.
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  16. A new nice collection, Steve.
    We do not know why but over somes littles frogs jump into the pool and not into the fish pound.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hmmm. Now I get to compate my lifestyle to that of a frog. In fact, I do a lot of resting over the winter. Not being partial to Minnesota cold...:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Never seen the real prairie though ever read from geography book.
    Hope to experience the real life soon there. Nice postings..

    ReplyDelete

Keep it positive and informative,I enjoy hearing from you!