Tuesday, September 4, 2012

The Good Life









 
 






 

When we look deep into our lives do we remember all the passion and love that has promoted our existence? Sometimes it is so simple and small we often set it aside and forget the moment that perhaps made ones day. I enjoy sharing mine with a smile or nod to all I encounter. I see a return from many and feel good to have shared with someone. Here in the Midwest it is easy to strike up a conversation with most people. I like to express my thoughts, but sometimes am hesitant to express my true feelings for some, in fear of provoking the wrong idea. I have a few friends who have stirred up a variety of thoughts within my heart, yet place this into a building block to enrich our friendship. I passed a couple looking over their motor home at a rest area recently, and wondered how long they had shared their interests to now be able to survive in such a tiny home and enjoy what they have. I yearn to be in this situation, yet have had a hard time finding that person to be part of me. Having been married for a little over two decades I wonder if I am still trying to recreate the situation too much. At my age I don’t feel I want to make more children, yet see this as what made my previous relationship so unique. I sit and ponder, then look at a little dog that does help make my life happy. It is a small retreat into happiness, and sharing our love for the outdoors. It is the small things in our lives that we need to put together and build into love. It surrounds us and many never understand that feeling.

 

17 comments:

  1. You are right, Steve, the life is good.
    Wondeful photo of the swan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that blue man sculpture! And always like to see Lily and the wildflowers. I hope you are feeling better, Steve. Best wishes to you-

    ReplyDelete
  3. it's a beautiful place, your prairie. love comes from many sources.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've written some heartfelt and thought-provoking sentiments here, Steve. I didn't marry until I was in my forties, so I understand some of the loneliness of being single. But, still, the loneliness of someone who's never known the companionship of another is different than that of someone who has known it and lost it. It's wonderful that you don't "wallow" in it but, instead, try to reach out to others and make their day a little brighter. That's good therapy for whatever ails us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well Steve, IF I can find that 'soulmate' at age 59, anyone can!!!! I was divorced/single for 20 years --and never dreamed I'd find that wonderful man to share my life with... God truly blessed us when we found each other... That can (and WILL) happen for you.

    Great photos..
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have not seen any of those butterflies around here this year. As our kids have moved far way from home and we are alone, we do reassess what has happened and where do we go from here. I wish you the best.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always love your photos. Today is no exception. The sculpture is great, love the flowers and is that you on the horse? But today your words about the couple traveling in the RV are so indsightful and tender. It takes a lot of years of sandpaper and affection to survive the confines of an RV and enjoy the moments. I know wanting to find a life companion (again) can cause a distant dull ache. The affection and loyalty of good dog does much to ease the burden. Doesn't erase the ache but softens it, does it not.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope you find what you a looking for. I would imagine you will when the time is right.

    I like your bugs on flowers series!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Some rather deep questions. Our out door experiences certainly help with relationships.
    Enjoyed the wide variety of photos which illustrate your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree that the swan is especially striking. It is interesting that you are feeling so retrospective just now. My cousin recently contacted me to gather information for a family "list" she wants to do. The memories that are still engulfing me are overwhelming. I immediately sent family histories that I have. I went through them all. The Irish say it is who you come from that makes you what you are.

    ReplyDelete
  11. ah yes, life is good and all you have to do is let it be. Horseback riding looks like fun, I haven't been on one in ages

    ReplyDelete
  12. A dog can be the best companion a person can have.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love is Everywhere! We only have to "see" it!
    hughugs

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's good to "see" that you are once again out and about your beloved prairie, Steve. The photos, as always, are lovely, but the words are so insightful. Being alone and being lonely are two completely different feelings as you well know. Having the friendship of true and lasting friends is a treasured joy as well. But to find someone with whom you can share your joys and pains is what most of us seek. I thought I found it in my late 30s, but it was fleeting and a mere 8 years later ended by unfaithfulness. Then, when least expected, love entered my life and this time it was the real deal...so you never know what the future has in store for you as well.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your photos display the beauty of the moment. Somehow, intellectually, that is hard for humans to contain. We often look for what we don't have and miss what we do have. Based on your photos and words Steve, that's not you. You bring joy to others, and yourself, in so many ways.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Being kind to others is a worthy mission in and of itself....

    ReplyDelete

Keep it positive and informative,I enjoy hearing from you!