Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Sunny Daze




 Partridge Pea




 Owl Box


Tall Bluestem reaches for the heavens


Eastern Bluebird eggs




 Beetles cover this ironweed blossom

A tiny yellow Sulphur butterfly flitted along with me as I walked the hot trail looking for a few new friends to enjoy. Birds cheered out praise for all the beauty that surrounded me. It was a beautiful day even with the heat being sometimes oppressive. Brown coaxes its way in among all the green from lack of rain. A few days earlier I was going to visit one of the most enjoyable roadside plantings I had seen all summer, only to arrive and see it had been hayed. The lack of rain had taken its toll on this area with farmers looking everywhere for hay to bale for the winter. A Black-Capped Chickadee joined in with a Jenny Wren arguing who had ownership to a tree. They fluttered close to me and soon  attracted a few other birds to see how this would work out.Perhaps there was something good to eat and all wanted to be part of the buffet offered. They continued off into the thicket and I continued on with my hike. My tiny companion butterfly stayed with me for quite a long time, I wondered if it felt a need for companionship on this sultry day and thanked it for coming along. Up over the rise I saw a tiny cemetery, with its monuments created to celebrate the lives of many who had settled in this area and created a new life for their families over the generations. A skull sat up ahead of me, a raccoon perhaps from the hair still on the nose. I sat it up on a nearby post to perhaps let it dry out more to share at a local conservation center. Many thoughts come to me while I roam this lovely land, and I let them  drift off to others on a gentle prairie breeze. Happiness found again and again, out on the prairie.

20 comments:

  1. Looks like you took a nice walk in the prairie---during the summer. We went hiking in the Smokies yesterday and it was nice other than being HOT and HUMID.... Can't wait 'til Fall!!!

    Have a great evening.
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed reading about your walk. Butterflies make nice companions. The birds are such good sources of entertainment, aren't they? Once we really pay attention, one can see their behavior more clearly and it's quite the social maneuvering. Any day that includes finding a skull is an interesting one. Those pods I recall from my childhood. They were found between our farm and my grandparents. We would sometimes pull them apart to expose their "insides."

    ReplyDelete
  3. The birds nest and the cemetery are my favorite. Very cool!!! I'm always amazed at the places you find beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A very beautiful set of pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, soon there will be little bluebirds!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great series, Steve. Love that picture of the sky, looking at the blue hole through the clouds. And the cemetery looks intriguing. The color of the ironweed blossom is gorgeous, but I could do without the beetles. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the first two shots. Who said grasses weren't interesting.
    The prairie is a fascinating eco system.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the different perspectives of the grasses. I like the story of the butterfly. When things like that happen it is so peaceful. Thanks for walk.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pleasant and nice hike together with you, Steve out on the prairie.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so glad we didn't have cattle on the pasture this year -- it's so hot and everything is struggling... except for the prairie, which seems to thrive. xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Enjoyed tagging along on your hike. The oppresive heat has limited Baron and I from similar excursions. Now some rain and hopefully cooler temps will provide the opportunity to catch up....

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! Love all the flowers! And look at that tooth on the skull?!! Goodness!
    hughugs

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful photos as always. I am looking forward to living in a very rural setting! As for living downtown, I don't mind the noise as much as I mind the people. Hope your day is going well,

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hej Steve, it was lovely to walk with you. The sulphur butterfly liked it too. Those flowers of the partridge pea are beautiful, so are the blue eggs of the bluebird. I simply love your photo of the clouds - it's like looking straight yup into the universe. A very nice tour.

    Grethe ´)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the prairie, love this blog. So glad I stumbled here today.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Enjoyed strolling with you in the prairie today. Your writing is so beautiful and pairs so well with your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  17. So much beauty on the prairie. Thanks for sharing it here.

    ReplyDelete
  18. So many things to see out there, a lovely place to explore and your photos are always special.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The second photo is exquisite. Plant reproduction is quiet, and yet holds the secret of life, in the past, present, and future. And your wonderful description at the end, a joy to read and experience it with you!

    ReplyDelete

Keep it positive and informative,I enjoy hearing from you!