Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Small Town Fourth

Bikers coming down the road announced the start of the holiday today. The tiny town of 5600 where I live had a small celebration, but alas no parade. I think each year of all the fun we had decorating our bikes for the Fourth of July parades. We put crepe paper in the spokes and each year had different themes. I revived this tradition with my kids also. One year I had a trailer bike attached to my seat post, and a baby trailer attached to it making me about fifteen feet long. I hoped to win with the most bike, but didn't win anything. We rode the bike decorated for a few days after since my daughter didn't want to dismantle all the decorations.

I went to the park amphitheater for a patriotic tribute and church service today. One of my clients and his aunt sat behind me, he was real proud that we were both there.Afterwards there was a buffet of homemade desserts to enjoy, and free lunch to accompany more holiday festivities. I had a piece of apple strudel and headed out to get this posted since I get to work today. For those enjoying the day, may it be a happy one.






19 comments:

  1. Wishing you and yours a safe and Happy 4th, Steve.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a grand celebration to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's nothing better than a small-town 4th of July... Small towns really know how to celebrate.. That is so awesome. Thanks for sharing.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have fond memories of the celebration in Osceola,Iowa. The parade and the carnival turned that town into a whole new world for a child. I am sure the parade was held again today but my whole family is not there anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy 4th of July, Steve!...There is nothing better than celebrating this day in a small town...Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's a quiet day for us too, Steve... staying inside out of the heat. Kinda boring, but I think it's best when it's so hot. Great photos of your small town celebration.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy 4th to you and Lilly, Steve! I love to see posts about small towns and their spirit- and their free food!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post and A Very Happy 4th of July to you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is what the 4th is all about. Thanks



    Aloha from Waikiki
    Comfort Spiral
    > < } } ( ° >

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope you had a very good Fourth of July.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gotta love small towns. Harrold used to have a parade so big one year I rode my horse, then got in the band and marched through. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So lovely! I really enjoyed the 4th with you and your small town here!
    Blessings!
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am sure you enjoyed this 4th of july.
    Victory of liberty.
    Our national day is 14th july but not for the same reasons. Revolution of poor people.
    Every year I wath on the TV the military parade.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This was the first year since I've lived here that they didn't have a parade for the 4th. They did do a fireworks display from the local park though which they have never done before.
    That looks like a very nice little town. Give me a small town over the big city any day

    ReplyDelete
  15. Small towns do tend to have unique July 4th events. Our little part of the country held several of these including a band concert, ice cream social, library book sale, and small parade. We went to all of them. And, yes I do remember when bkikes used to be decorated like yours, Steve. In fact, there were several in the parade.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I loved this, Steve. There's just nothing like a small-town celebration like this. Your pictures really illustrated that. We stayed inside all day yesterday, because of the heat. The larger town, near our small one, did have fireworks, but all personal fireworks were banned in our county due to the extreme drought we're in; so it hardly seemed like the Fourth at all. Too quiet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds like you enjoyed the day!!!
    hughugs

    ReplyDelete

Keep it positive and informative,I enjoy hearing from you!