Friday, July 20, 2012

Prairie Songs

 Rattlesnake Master



Compass Plant


A simple plant
Lines the roadside
Iridescent blue
Marks a path
To happiness.



Eastern Kingbird



Hold out your hands and catch the spirit carried on a gentle prairie breeze. It sometimes whispers a song or chant that has been carried across this land for centuries. The wealth of happiness and good thoughts made by nature as it surrounds one with  beauty can sometimes be overwhelming. I always like to thank the land and its residents for giving me such a great day and loads of memories in my photographs. There is always something new to discover and enjoy in the gentle land that beckons me to return again for another visit. I was greeted on this day with a Brown Thrasher singing in a chorus with a Song Sparrow, welcoming me to this lovely area. I closed my eyes and just listened to the celebration of life that was all around. It is so nice to return and be greeted so nicely, and I always look forward to hearing more. It was a new day in an old land, out on the prairie.

23 comments:

  1. Love the "rattlesnake master" and the "compass plant". So interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such beautiful photos of your prairie, Steve. I especially liked the windmill and the Eastern Kingbird.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love seeing the prairie through your eyes. and seeing the likenesses and differences between your world and mine. the blue flower...is that chicory?

    ReplyDelete
  4. A very poetic and spiritual post! Very enjoyable. The prairie makes you feel like that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice post, Steve.
    I think the blue flower are chicory. I just saw the same one on another blog.
    Have a good week-enk.

    ReplyDelete
  6. it's always a pleasure coming here and exploring the prairie with you. So much lovely eye candy

    ReplyDelete
  7. That Rattlesnake plant rocks! Beautiful pics, as usual. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I caught the spirit carried on your gentle prairie breeze.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Views of your prairie always give me a smile. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You take such lovely shots Steve!! Love these!
    Hughugs

    ReplyDelete
  11. As a kid on our farm in southern Iowa I would walk the dirt road to the back of the farm and see all the different natural flowers. My dad didn't spray his fields so the flowers grew along the cornfields. I can still feel the gently heat from the ground and hear the sounds of the grasshoppers. Blue blossoms are chichory I believe. The spelling of it I am not certain of, or maybe blogger doesn't know the word.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Never seen rattlesnake master. The last pick is great. ALL are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful wild flowers.. none with which I'm familiar except for the blue wild chicory. So nice to see what you find through your lens.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful images from "Out on the Prairie". I love your last line--A new day in an old land out on the prairie. Lovely post. Mickie :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. A lovely tribute to nature and a very uplifting post Steve, thank you. Those photos are fantastic as always.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've never seen or heard of the rattlesnake master. I am so in love with the windmill photo. Someday I'm going o have a real windmill.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The rattlesnake master is intriguing! Such a geometric plant. And your words at the end. So fitting, so true!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love these fun pics - the last one is my fav!

    ReplyDelete
  19. So right ... if you listen you can hear their whispers!

    ReplyDelete

Keep it positive and informative,I enjoy hearing from you!