Thursday, July 12, 2012

Life Goes On


A colorful Japanese Beetle is easily identified by five white tufts on each side



 A pair of Painted Skimmer dragonflies caught in flight







My day could have continued smooth had I stayed out on the prairie. I was close to a favorite trout venue so headed there to fish for a bit, and maybe take a swim. I sat for a hour or so without a bite, this weather has been too warm for fishing. When I got up I forgot my camera was hanging from the back of my chair.When I folded it up my camera took a swim. This is not a good thing, only the second time I drowned a camera. It wasn't even totally submerged, but that was all it took to destroy my little friend. This was only a year old last October, and at this point I have shot over 13,000 pictures with it. I called a friend while still in Nebraska and had her order me the newer, better model as fast as possible. All my other cameras are across the state at my other home so I feel naked when I go out. I stopped and looked at a few waterproof models, liking an Olympus DG-1, but the macro shot I shot in the store was a bit grainy. When I am kayaking I would prefer a waterproof or resistant camera, but have taken risks to get those nice closeups of dragonflies, birds and frogs I love to grab. Let me know if you have used any.

My last time I did this I walked for a hour with my oldest daughter to show her nesting geese on a favorite pond tucked away in the hills of central Iowa. It was a glamorous sunrise morning with fog swirling on the pond. I shot as fast as I could catching many pictures of my daughter, on a 36 picture roll of film. The geese were a nice background and over twenty years ago not as plentiful as we have now. I bent over to watch a bass, forgetting my camera sitting in an open case. Keerplunk was not the sound I wanted to hear. I jumped in to retrieve it with its completed roll of film and raced to take it to a camera store an hour away. When I got to the store the clerk asked if I was Catholic. I asked why and he said he could call a priest. Just as I had with my recent camera, I did have a new model chosen. I left the store a bit grumpy but had a newer film camera to take with me.

Well at least I didn't cuss when it happened this time. The last time I got told on by my daughter. It has been a rough week, I banged my head hard and got a slight concussion, so have acted a bit wimpy. Looks warm for the next week, this seems too early to have triple digit weather. I do have a few pics still up my sleeve, these were all on my disc that took the plunge.

10 comments:

  1. OoohNoooo...Sorry luck with cameras Steve!! But I'm glad these shots were salvaged! Wonderful shots!
    hughugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. sorry about the camera. the prairie is looking very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that's such a shame, Steve. I'm sorry for your camera woes. I can only imagine how miserable I'd be if I had done the same. Thankfully, disc fare better than film in these situations and though the camera is a goner, the photos remain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sad about losing your camera, but so glad about getting a new one. :) We'll look forward to the many pictures that you will soon be taking with your new second-best friend (Lily comes first, of course).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry about your camera.... I dropped one off of a cliff once ---but hubby hiked down to get it... I was lucky--it wasn't damaged at all.... Hope you get a new one soon.

    Love your flowers in this post... The red daylily is a fav.... AND YES---we know what a Japanese Beetle looks like... Grrrrrr.... ha
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Quite a story about your cameras. On the other hand some beautiful photos of your prairie.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, Steve, life goes on and life is very beautiful out on the prairie.
    Great série !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my, not the camera. Even though I go days without using mine I can't imagine not having it there if I wanted it. Hope you get your new one soon

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've managed to kill one phone and two cameras in the past few years, so don't feel bad. We are only human. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful shots on the prairie. I have lost two cameras but not by water. I don't they should be so disposable when they are so expensive.

    ReplyDelete

Keep it positive and informative,I enjoy hearing from you!