Sunday, July 15, 2012

Childhood Memories

The beach lies between Lincoln and Omaha, Nebraska, hence the name LINOMA BEACH. At one time it was like a Coney Island in New York, a mixture of a carnival and swim area. It was a fun spot to take your family and spend the day.The Fun House always had favorite areas , like the Mirror Room where we fantasized around distorted shapes of our bodies. A giant wooden wheel was hard to sit on for very long as it spun you around and pushed you off. A giant wooden barrel spinning invited antics that made my mother tell us not to break our necks.A few rides offered a chance to ride a pony, tiny motorboats, Ferris wheel, bump cars or painted carousel.We often brought a picnic lunch, but often were rewarded with a ice cream or snow cone. One last thrill was riding a huge wooden slide on a burlap bag.I saw the lighthouse and went to listen to our laughter and fun. A revival of fond childhood memories since we lived in both towns, so coming here was a family tradition.

The beach has shrank and gone are the carnival rides for decades. My older brother who could go off the high dive at three, was impaired by his younger brother who was four years younger.He coaxed me out to the huge diving raft riding on his back, and showed me how easy it was to dive and swim. I didn't want to try, making sand castles was more my favor. He pointed to a golden fish swimming and had me take a closer look.Kersplash, I was pushed in, and came up paddling to save my life. "You are swimming!" he exclaimed. "No I'm not,"I said through tears,"Help me!" A teen pulled me to safety and I was helped to the shallows. I tried out swimming a bit more while my brother sat up on the beach next to my mother."Hey, I am swimming !" I shared with a neighbor boy, as we paddled through the shallows.We went to the fun house and played for a short time, my brother came to join us, but was mad at my getting him in trouble."Don't break your necks," my mother always reminded us.We wondered what we would look like with crooked broken necks and laughed running away to all the fun.


14 comments:

  1. Ooh...what a fun memory! hmmm..I should go try to find Kernoodles(Wonder if it's still there??) Sounds kind of like your Linoma.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great memories, Steve... So many of the 'fun places' like that are gone now.. Our town had a wonderful swimming pool --but it closed down and now there's a stinkin' motel where it used to be.....

    So you learned to swim the hard way, huh? OR--was that the easy way in the long run???? ha ha
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. This type of beach with it's rides etc. has disappeared. Funny things we remember as kids.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Childhood memories of fun summer times are the best ones, Steve.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful childhood memories. It sounds like a great place.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have seen lakes like this along the drive. The area sounded like our Riverveiw Park in Des Moines. I guess there wasn't a swimming area included though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such fun memories, Steve. Most of us can recall something similar. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The lakes I swam in as a young girl were cold New Hampshire lakes. We called one of them "Leech Beech" because of the leeches there. Strange that they lived in North Country waters-

    ReplyDelete
  9. Idyllic childhood memories. I never got to swim in a lake as a young girl, never too late I guess :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think my older sister took us there once many years ago -- it's a beautiful Nebraska "beach." :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is always so good to remember our childhood.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fun memories! I'll have to ask my husband if he went there as a kid. He grew up just outside of Lincoln.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What funny memories! I remember the crazy mirrors in a place similar to this. It was such fun. It was certainly a tough way how you learned to swim I must say. I understand why your mother was a little worried about you and your brother!
    Grethe ´)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love old childhood memories.

    ReplyDelete

Keep it positive and informative,I enjoy hearing from you!