Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Wetland Fun
















As I stood in the lower area of a wet land I watched a Trumpeter Swan  adding more fluff to her nest as she patiently sat on her eggs. I was amazed at all the birds calling and the beauty of the day so I brought out my tiny recorder to collect some thoughts and sounds. I marveled at what all  spilled from my brain both in verse and directives to write prose and loved that I had acquired this toy. Each time I turned there was something else to photograph and I spent a lovely afternoon by myself in this huge refuge. When I walked out I played the bird calls over as I drove to the next area I wanted to explore. There is a beauty in seeing everything, but also one to properly describe this as well.

I pulled into an overlook and sat in the warm sun basking like the painted turtles I had watched earlier.I took off my shirt and lay back dreaming, wondering who first found this pristine area and called it home.I spent the rest of the day in a daydream, as I often do, and headed down to my other home to mow and tend the yard a bit. I had brought all my laundry to do also and set it in the basement. My friend stopped over and we ran out to get a pizza and steak at our favorite little town nearby and I came home pretty exhausted.I sat back  and was lost in a dream, waking to hear her typing away on one of the many computers. She asked,"What is in your clothes making all that racket?" I sat up hearing a thud every once and a while.She told me she had started another load and I laughed, forgetting to empty ones pockets can be tough on a dryer. In this case it was my recorder, less than two weeks old. Hmmmmm I wonder if that is under warranty. She left before I was back up and I was grateful to have had some help at least, my first few loads were all folded and hung up, a task I really don't like to do.

13 comments:

  1. Ack! Oh no.. that's too bad about the recorder. Better than a camera, though. Some things are just meant to be remembered and not recorded. I remind myself of that occasionally when I miss a shot or (gasp) go out without the camera.

    Beautiful, shots as always, Steve. You sure encountered a lot of wonderful wildlife on this day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor recorder. Glad it wasn't your camera, though. These are beautiful photos. So many turtles all in one area. And big ones, too. But, you know, I really liked the butterfly on the orange flower with the hairy leaves. It just struck my fancy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your spring is popping out all over...birds , flowers turtles. It's a very beautiful time of year. Many people ignore the sounds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. THis was a great day, Steve, up until the clothes washing incident. But, here's a tip that might work. Grenville's cell phone also went through the washer, so we went to the local Verizon store and were told to take out the battery and submerge the phone in a bag of instant rice for a few days. The rice will dry out the water and so it did for the cell phone...might work on your waterlogged recorder as well. And besides what have you got to lose now?

    ReplyDelete
  5. nice post, especially enjoyed the eagle and the lonely building-


    Aloha from Honolulu
    Comfort Spiral

    > < } } (°>

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great shot of the eagle.
    Anither nice collection of photos, Steve. I just lokked at the two previous post. Bisons and bear reminds me our visit in Yelleowstone Park.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry you washed your recorder!!

    Love the shot of all the turtles. When I was out running today I saw a teeny tiny turtle, the size of a camera lens. SO cute :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful photos..I forget ink pens in my pocket, cause I carry one around all the time to jot poems and ideas down.
    Everyone is a little tired of ink all over their clothes..LoL

    So now they remind before I do clothes "Check your pockets!"

    Glad you liked the music..I am at a crosroads right now with myself. Not really knowing where to begin with my writing. I am seeking answers..

    Have a great day..Sincerely, Nita

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh no too bad about the recorder. with all the rain we've been having my yard is a bit of a wet land but it's certainly nowhere near as fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Where was this Steve? Inquiring minds want to know. :) Gorgeous photos in the last three posts... I'm catching up.

    ReplyDelete
  11. really love all those turtles - not many around here, i miss 'em! Great Baldy shot too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry about the recorder! But you sure did get some gorgeous shots. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh dear, that sounds like something I would do. I've washed a lot of dollar bills too. Great series of photos here. That pelican's eye is mesmerizing.

    ReplyDelete

Keep it positive and informative,I enjoy hearing from you!