Monday, March 12, 2012

A Tale To Share







 It was a cold and blustery March day. Winds were blowing at 50 mph and the cold cut through my clothing, even though it was 31 degrees.I stopped and got out of my van for a quick shot on this barn.It sat in the middle of a barren landscape soon to be reborn from the floods that stood four feet deep here from the Missouri River last year. The silt covered the fertile soil , and I was charmed by this collection of machinery sitting around this prairie castle. I shot a few angles walking down the highway and returned quickly to my car. I opened the door only to find I had hit the electric locks getting out. There sat my vehicle running, my warm coffee, phone and gloves inside. I hadn't seen very much traffic so I huddled behind my vehicle to get out of the wind. I mumbled a few coarse words and saw a pair of cars approaching. I raced across the road and stuck out my thumb. The first driver looked the other direction, perhaps not wanting to make eye contact knowing it was so cold to be standing in the middle of nowhere. The second slowed and started backing up. I ran for the warmth and told the driver where I needed to go to get my extra key. He said he could give me a ride and I was overjoyed. I told him I needed to stop by my landlords office to get a key to my apartment and he took out his phone and said to it," Call David." They were friends from high school and I had a set of keys waiting when we arrived. He took me home and said if I didn't mind his trading cars at his house he was returning to his family farm down the road from where I was stranded to take another vehicle in for servicing. He told me of his family owning two century farms, and a grandfather who enjoyed writing historical accounts of his life. I was eager to meet him also, but had to end my day. I offered to give him some cash, but he declined. It is nice to meet such wonderful people out on the prairie.




 Mallards racing to get away from my approach

 Clouds of migrating waterfowl


Lesser Scaup, a diving duck


Two Trumpeter Swans

25 comments:

  1. Hi Steve, Great pictures... I love seeing the migrating water birds.

    YES---we know about March winds also. This past Friday, the winds were so strong in West VA that I thought they were going to knock me down... AND--they were COLD, very cold!

    We are home from our 2nd trip is a month--and both of us have colds.. Yuk! Guess it will be REST for this upcoming week for both of us.

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. how nice of the man to help you out...there are STILL good people in this world if we only look, huh?
    love the photo of the group of birds taking off...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is a century farm one that's been in the same family for 100 years?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love all the migrating birds. Glad you found someone to come to your rescue!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Indeed. Renews your faith in humanity a bit, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. A heartwarming story and beautiful pictures. Doesn't get much better than that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. why do things like that always happen when the weather is not the best? At least your story had a happy ending and you did get some great shots

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's one of the reasons, after leaving the big city for a job, I remained in small town Minnesota for almost fifty years....

    ReplyDelete
  9. No words are required! The pictures say it all! Excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My husband salvaged a bird nest for me last year, and I just took it out yesterday to decorate for spring. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, what a beautiful set of pictures. And people can be so wonderful as your experience shows and so terrible at the same time (the first driver passing you by).

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good LORD Steve!! 31 degrees in a 50mph wind can do some serious damage! SO glad you were rescued!!!
    hughugs

    ReplyDelete
  13. So many birds in some of those pictures. I can hardly imagine being there with them. And the eagles are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The photo of the lone mandarin duck is my favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Another wonderful set of photos, Steve ! It is always a real pleasure to go on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love coming along with you and your camera!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a fabulous tale of humanity's generosity. Lovely photos.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great set of shots! So glad you met some helpful people too!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a wonderful experience for you. Out of life-seeming irritations, for it to turn around so beautifully. A great story and a great series of photos again. Glad everything turned out so well in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great story and pics for accompaniment! And for heaven's sake, don't risk that again! You could have died in those conditions!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ugh! I'm so sorry that happened to you Steve. I always keep an extra key wired to the bottom of my truck for such catastrophes.

    I'm glad you were able to get such friendly assistance. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. As always wonderful photos.

    It is wonderful to be reminded that most folks are good. This was a heartening message, something I really needed to hear today. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Steve, good to read that all turned out well in what was a frustrating set of circumstances. You provided tangible evidence of the goodness of folks...nice to know! And, you didn't miss the photo ops!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Gorgeous photos. Wow. Sometimes I ache for green this time of year, but these images remind me of how much beauty can be found in subtle browns and grays and blues.

    I just found your blog today, and I will by stopping by again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Brrr, beautiful portrayal of the grey chilly spring weather. Thank goodness someone came to your rescue

    ReplyDelete

Keep it positive and informative,I enjoy hearing from you!