Tuesday, March 6, 2012

How Sweet It Is



 Making those first footprints



If you haven't read http://mobugs.blogspot.com, you are missing out on a great site to learn about insects and a assortment of other critters.i send tons of stuff to her and always learn more from her expertise. Here is what she told me about this bagworm.


That is a bagworm. They can be deadly to young trees if they occur in large enough numbers. They are also unsightly in high numbers. I have them all over my eastern cedars, I usually try to pick as many of them off the trees as I can in March or April before the little eggs inside hatch the little worms begin feeding. They are cool in one way though, as newly hatched caterpillars they will already begin looking for substances to attach to their back to form their protective little cocoons. They keep adding to the cocoon as they grow and they live completely inside of it. When they get bigger you can see them emerge part way and feed.








Oops, I was told not to shoot in this room.









Sailing shoes

17 comments:

  1. Wow--the first and the fifth from the last....could I have permission to paint them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pictures, Steve... I always love your 'nature walk' pictures --especially the snow... BUT---I also love your museum pictures... I love feeling your passion through your camera as you visit places like this... Thanks for sharing them with us.
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like an interesting museum. I especially liked the mountain painting. The sculptures look interesting, too. And you got a great shot of the squirrel. I don't think I've seen bag worms before, although we do have some tent worms around here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish you would select a larger size for your pics.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You find such interesting places to get your pictures. And I agree completely about mobugs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never heard of the bagworm and hope I don't it sounds dreadful. Pretty amazing sculpture glad to see it :O)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those bag worms build very interesting structures. Our tent moths on the east coast are as devastating to our trees. You see them everywhere. Always enjoy your photos. Such a lovely variety here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are a good photo reporter, Steve. I love the beautiful squirrel.
    Dou you see the brown one in my garden
    We have also reddish-brown squirrels, smaller than the brown one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. very interesting about the bagworm. Love that giant turtle. Aren't you the rebel shooting in forbidden areas...lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice visit! I love the Native American culture...

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is the first time I've ever heard of a bagworm.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I didn't Know that about bagworms!! I've seen them all my life!
    hughugs

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your photos. It is like taking a walk. My favorite out of that group was the cedar trees with the clouds behind them.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I found myself wondering whether you are out and about on snowshoes.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! What beautiful photos!! Love the scenery pics. That sky and mountain are such nice pics!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That bag worm was something new to me. I know tent caterpillars though.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oops! Oh well -- better to ask forgiveness, as they say...

    We got hit with the bagworms last year and I think I've got about 90% of them picked off. Terrible!

    ReplyDelete

Keep it positive and informative,I enjoy hearing from you!