Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Through An Eagles Eye



 Get in I will give you a push!

 Looking at the white pine needles in this made me think this was an old bluebird nest, a welcomed visitor in the spring.

The first few eagles, the machinery present is still being used to dig out the muck from the summers flooding that devasted this area for weeks. There were six eagles on this water, I thanked them for the experience of getting to observe them.



















Yesterday I went to look for bald eagles. Living where I was before it was common to see them often all around the town and surrounding area. I followed the Missouri River south and found fifteen or twenty. I have seen that many in one tree in more populated areas, but it was still a pleasure with each sighting. They soar without almost any effort and swoop down across the water to grab a meal. I rarely see what they grab before they grasp it; they see it with their keen eyesight.

Going into one of the larger towns along the river on the Nebraska side I searched for a good bakery. Driving through the downtown area I was greeted with a hardware store having the same name as myself. Going in I was greeted by a distant cousin who had started the business when I was two. We compared our families and shared a few good stories. One I shared was going to a big reunion that was put on every two years for our extended family. Seven brothers and one sister came to the United States with their parents from Bohemia. Each of the family linages was addressed. Looking around the room I saw one fellow who looked very close to my recently deceased father. Walking up I introduced myself, and told him how he had caught my eye in this crowd. He laughed and said he had married into the family, so wasn’t even a descendent. We both laughed at my tale and I headed out stopping to get a few pastries, fruit and some cheese at a grocery along the way for a late lunch.

I drove down to a Lewis and Clark museum next to the river. I had stopped a few times before and being a nice day went for a hike along the various trails, trying to imagine what it might have been like for them approaching this new area and trying to build some food supplies. They had stayed for quite a few days, and that was part of making this area into a museum and recreation area. Standing on the edge of a bluff 190 feet above the river I saw an eagle below working along the edge of the river. With the wind blowing into my face I held out my hands and closed my eyes, wishing health and happiness for all I know and love. I imagined soaring as the eagle and wished I could get closer to get a good picture of it. I watched as it tried to stay away from me, and moved downstream before it grabbed a fish and flew into a tree to eat. The spirit flowed through me and I continued on my walk. I thought of the expedition group chasing after elk and besieged by the mosquitos. Today it was too cold to worry about pests, but would be a dream to see elk again. A few shocks of little bluestem showed over a hillside and I was greeted by a small area that had been reconstructed with my favorite plants. Beauty can always to be found out on the prairie.

24 comments:

  1. The Lewis and Clark trail!! My daughter and I ventured over some of that this past summer when we went down to Great Falls. I love imagining what they saw...seeing it through their eyes!

    Nice pictures....and I think I will keep off the tire swing for now. I don't have much luck on those:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seeing the eagles must be a real treat!! Beautiful bird!
    At times I've thought I've spotted my Mom as well...nope, not her!Lol
    hughugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, how cool to find all those eagles!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. sounded like a wonderful adventure! i like the old, log cabin. lots of stories in there...

    ReplyDelete
  5. That must have been a pleasant surprise to find that hardware store.
    A real treat seeing the eagles also

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like you have lots of interesting things to see there. Love your photos. You are lucky to see the Eagles. I've never seen one myself. I used to swing on my Grandmother's tire swing when I was a kid. It hung from a big old tree. Loved it! I hope you have a great year ahead Steve!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad that you found your beloved Eagles! I had not noticed them too often in my new area. I really need to go out and adventure more like you do. Very impressed with both your energy and positive outlook toward really living life, Steve! Thank you for sharing your adventures and bring smiles to all of our faces with each post and picture! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am fascinated with the Lewis and Clark expedition. It's absolutely amazing what they were able to accomplish. I wish there was a boat cruise that would retrace their river route and some other tour that would retrace their overland route.

    The old cabin is neat. What is the other thing? Is it a dwelling or a mine? It looks a little like a soddy. Interesting post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm waiting to see an eagle or two now. I know they're out there somewhere, but I haven't seen any yet. I've seen plenty of hawks, but even then I haven't been in much of a position to have my camera with me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I miss the eagles. I too lived along the Mighty Missouri. Great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi There, You are so lucky to have gotten to see the eagles... I'm so jealous...

    What a neat place.. I'd love to see that museum sometime.

    Have a good rest of the week.
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the photos! I especially like the old log building and the root cellar. We used to have a root cellar when I was a child. I can still smell the odour of the damp, old dirt. I loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lake Manawa in Council Bluffs in early March is supposed to be a great place to see eagles. Lovely photos, Steve. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Another beautiful collection, Steve. I am so fascinated with eagles.

    "I thanked them for the experience of getting to observe them." <--- I think that's a very important part of the seeing, photographing and sharing process.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I already heard about Lewis and Clark trail. I am very interested by the american history.
    I had the pleasure to see an eagle in Yellowstone Park. I like the olds wooden cabin too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hej Steve, I'm fascinated with eagles. We're often taking a long trip just to have a chance to see the whitetailed eagle. I love the birds of prey.
    Thank you for a fine story about your family meeting. I've got a friend from Bohemia, he's from Prague. It's such a beautiful city. He's got a special baroque sense of humour which I like. Is that characteristic of Bohemians, Steve??
    Cheers
    Grethe ´)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great post. I'm wondering where that museum is as I'm mega big on Lewis and Clark. The relatively new one at Great Fall, Montana is the best I've ever seen. Our resident eagles in Fillmore County (sixty miles from the Big River) are now generally overwintering here now unless the weather turns really really bad. I think they survive by emulating the turkey vultures feeding habits. The vultures, of course, are long gone....

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks Steve, this is another marvelous post. On the rare occasion I have seen eagles it has been an amazing experience. I have never seen more than one or two, and to see more would be incredible. Love your photos and enjoyed the story of you meeting your distant cousin by marriage. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You have a very interesting blog! Many great photos!
    Greetings from Switzerland
    Yvonne & Raphael

    ReplyDelete
  20. It is always such a spiritual experience for me to see a bald eagle - I can't imagine seeing so many in one area. What a treat. My family of origin came from Germany to the Dakotas. I often wonder what that must have been like - new country, new ways, new foods. It is so nice that you reconnected with extended family in this way.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Happy New Year! I particularly like the photo of the tire swings.

    ReplyDelete
  22. What an amazing adventure! When the eagles soar, you know life is good! And Happy New Year to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  23. You are absolutley right, Steve, beauty AND adventures can be found on the prarie...thanks for sharing your spendor!

    ReplyDelete

Keep it positive and informative,I enjoy hearing from you!