Friday, January 20, 2012

A Simple Thought


 Bald Eagle enjoying  a meal











The one tree looks like it is walking away across the ice

 A tree singing opera





Between us stood a moderate storm, all sorts of thoughts and ideals combined. His thoughts raced as he looked at the people he had spent time with, his family, and those who took care of him throughout the year. It was a tough decision at what world to return to, and hard to see any emotion being traded by the wild look in his eyes. It is hard to imagine what goes on in these silent worlds many around me are contained in, a sign for yes or no may be their only communication to share. I try to look deep into their heart and soul and place myself within their situation of having life controlled by so many individuals who care for many. Your time is spread with so many and data constantly being recorded will be reviewed to make sure your lifestyle is at the best that can be offered. When I am in the right group, I have a hard time not talking and think of this while working with these gentle people who often share a lost stare or mistakenly a glare.

A smile can say a thousand words, a communication I often share. Now when I see what a valuable asset it brings I enjoy sharing this simple grimace with the world. Does it spread like sweet butter over bread, and consume many more before it stops? Or perhaps it carries on, a symbol that never stops, sharing happiness through our land, I hope it never stops. We sometimes forget this valuable tool, to share around those we meet. For one a simple treasure, for another the best part of their day or sadly their week. It is so easy to spread this wealth, a smile or even asking how is their day. Many may go the rest of the week, never having their say.
So perhaps we need to look around and make sure everyone is happy and not sad. You can mean so much to one person, making them feel so glad.

Often when I go into a grocery I am greeted by someone else shopping there. I am not sure if it is how friendly the Midwest can be, my similarity to someone they have met, or just a sense of the happiness with the smile I carry on my face. It comes so easy to greet everyone who might look at you and resolve a short term friendship with them. Often I enjoy this brief encounter and treasure any conversation that it may lead to. I like to thank those that work where I am shopping by name, should they have a name tag for me to acknowledge. Such small advances again could make someone’s day better. One of the things we forget with those around us is that we share this world. We share it all the time, and many times just take what keeps our lives going for granted. Try it out if you haven’t already done so. Greet all who you make eye contact with, and thank all you meet who make your world happen. It doesn’t cost you anything, but yet can make you millions in pleasure.

24 comments:

  1. You're so right, Steve. A smile is one of the most precious gifts we have to give. And it usually comes back to us, blessing our own lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the pic of the eagle! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steve- the tree singing opera looks like an Ent!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the tree looks more like it's slipping on the ice....lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. I make it a point to walk around my classrooms every morning (I'm the mean old principal you know) and give the kids a kind word or some encouragement. It makes such a big difference in their attitudes. One word can make a world of difference.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love these pics Steve.The trees are neat. Especially the one singing..Ha! keep those people happy and keep on smiling. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The singing tree is great. So is the picture of the light and dark trees, who seem to be dancing with each other.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You look like you had a fun day! I really like the first tree picture.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is surprising how something as simple as a smile can lift someone's day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your opera star tree and the pair of trees embracing, right below the bald eagle shot. And of course your own infectious smile.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely views along the water... you captured some very fine scenes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your story reminds me of how different people in this area of the country are from where I was before. People here seem much more open and friendly to me. It may just be getting away from a bigger city that makes the difference, but these people's attitudes seem to match more closely with my own. It makes it very easy to fit in. I actually find myself having friendly conversations with complete strangers, which is something I've never done before.

    ReplyDelete
  13. ...love all the very wintery photos...the skeletal trees are striking. (We have a lot of very friendly people around here too, and we know all the names of the people at our grocery store. It's actually fun to go there because we laugh and joke around.)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good points, Steve, about how simple gestures of a smile or friendly greeting, preferably both can perhaps change someone's day for the better. Too many folks get caught up in their own little world and firget

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sorry, blogger locked up before I could finish my sentence....so many get caught up in their own little world and forget about others.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Another vote for the opera-singing tree! Love seeing the seasons change where you are. And your words are very wise, a smile can make the day so much brighter.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Luv the winter pictures...winter gray!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Reading about your adventures and seeing your photos gives me many smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Such powerful thoughts in this simple one!!!!
    Needed this today!
    Like the picture of the 2 trees...and yes, the one walking on ice:)

    ReplyDelete
  20. A smile is one of the most beautiful things to see and to share. Another lovely read Steve, great photos all of them and I especially enjoyed the one with the smile :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Those trees are amazing, I love the one walking. So true about smiles it can make all the difference.

    ReplyDelete
  22. First your photographs increasingly show your love for the prairie. This is a wonderful talent. And "Does it spread like sweet butter over bread, and consume many more before it stops?" is wonderful writing. Thank you I say with a smile on my face.

    ReplyDelete
  23. love the walking and singing trees! I always come here when I need a bit of peace and serenity - you never let me down.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I see your photos are still as outstanding as always, how do you like your new part of the state?

    ReplyDelete

Keep it positive and informative,I enjoy hearing from you!