Wednesday, December 21, 2011

A Special Thanks To All









                What a lovely feeling this Christmas has left me. I enjoy what you all enjoy with your families as well as I do mine. One of the best of holiday spirit sharing observances I have had is through a friend who always enjoys them very simple and well. He reminds me daily that the holiday is near .I looked for a nice hat with a little bling this year for him, his elfin looks fit well with any outfit. I can walk near his home and the sky lights up as one approaches, a delight in lights that always charm. I had hoped his home would win the contest, but it was not a near miss with some other lighting extravaganzas, but still one of the best according to this well holiday cultured fellow.

                This year has been a struggle for many families, our economy has burdened many .I hope you have the thoughts to share at this time of year, my favorite is cash donations at the local food banks. For many years I shot rolls of film for these cash donations posing as the jolly old elf, and having famiy sit on my lap for pictures. It seems silly with all our technology and knowledge that anyone could go hungry in our world, let alone in our towns we live in . A gift of giving always comes back to you double. One with what it gives you in your heart for sharing and through the feeling knowing that you have enriched others lives.

What will he do with my dollar

If I gave it to him why should I care

I gave him a simple gift of pleasure

Let him spend it who knows where.

                A fun tale of Christmas began one year with my mother being due with her fourth child over the holiday. I remember trying to tell her that a good name might be Jesus, but an aunt was in charge of an agency that changed people’s names from that to Ed or Tom.  She was totally uncomfortable, the baby would be huge, almost eight pounds. I weighed in at 6 ½ so this was big for the time. After cooking one of the largest turkeys that my Dad could find for Christmas Eve, she felt weak and went in to the hospital. They did a few tests and sent her home. In the meantime we had always unwrapped our relative’s gifts on this night.  When she got home, we were all hushed to keep her calm. Getting up the next day, an aunt came and took me over to her home. I stayed the holiday and came home to a new brother a few days later. He was almost born on the elevator at 12:31AM on the 26th of December. Making it into the waiting room my Dad said it was almost like me, where he had barely filled his pipe and lit it. Our Christmas was late that year, but just as wonderful as it may have been on the day it happens.

20 comments:

  1. In France, too, life is not easy because of the economic crisis.
    This Christmas season will forget some concerns, especially the underprivileged. It will be a pleasant interlude before 2012 begins. We heard we will have some hard times.
    In the meantime, Merry Christmas, Steve!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A beautiful post, Steve. I daresay you've passed love my way on more than one occasion. There's a tin of cookies on my counter, fresh made last night, if you want to stop by. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely memory, Steve and beautiful Christmas flowers. A very Merry Christmas to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun tale of your brother's entrance into the world! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really liked the Christmas story about your Mom. Wishing you and your loved ones a very merry Christmas and a peaceful New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great Christmas gift for you! I love that you thought Jesus might be a good name....

    Pretty poinsettias, love that Bird of Paradise.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great story. I've always wondered why Christmas memories are some of the strongest. Maybe it is a magic time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What wonderful poinsettas, Steve. We call them Julestjerner (=Christmas Stars). They are very popular.

    Thanks to you too and a Happy Christmas to you and your family.
    Grethe

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with Allison you do spread love and I hope this year it returns to you and yours many times over.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Luv the 1st plant. Are u lookin out a window. The bird of paradise reminds me of when I went scuba diving on Herod Island on the Great Barrier Reef.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful flowers! Wishing you a very happy holiday, Steve. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can hardly wait to explore those trails out there. Have a great merry christmas. Peace, baby!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Excellent post, Steve... Spending a life of giving to others is truly such a blessing...

    Love your photos.
    Merry Christmas to YOU.
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  14. what a wonderful story and how special to get a brother for Christmas. I rarely spend Christmas day with my kids anymore since they are spreading themselves between families but it makes no difference what day we celebrate.
    Wishing you a joyful Christmas and the happiest of new years.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful photos. That 7th one, just before the Bird of Paradise, is an eye popper. Merry Christmas, Steve!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Steve,
    Many blessings to you and yours as well...we often take so much for granted and then this season hits and we realize how many do without and it saddens me when retailers are wanting us to buy, buy, buy and some are unable to buy even the essentials...but it gives us the opportunity to do good for others.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the story about your mom and baby. Hope you have a great holiday. Merry Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You are a fine man and I know you're a fine friend. Merry Christmas!! I look forward to another year of your wonderful photos and stories.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a sweet story...from a sweet man!
    Merry Christmas to you and your family!!
    hughugs

    ReplyDelete

Keep it positive and informative,I enjoy hearing from you!