Wednesday, December 14, 2011

The Nutcracker










A grand tour of lights happened tonight, staying in my direct neighborhood. I often stop in awe and wonder watching the artistic creations all my neighbors have done, it makes me closer to those around me. I stopped at a large church; they have those Christmas lights year round with their stained glass windows. An art teacher approached and we traded our art backgrounds with a promise for me to join her in her classroom during this school year. Living in a small town, it is best to distribute ones talents as well as you can. Today I had my interview with the newspaper published, telling about the towns new neighbor. I shot lots of pictures and returned home to the beginning of a George Balanchine production of “The Nutcracker”, an extremely favorite Christmas tradition for me. I have seen it live numerous times by different groups, and often have that same tearful swelling in my eyes each time.

This cast was all from New York Ballet Company and they held an elaborate production at the Lincoln Center, shown on PBS. It is just as magical now as it was the first time I saw it. The structure and discipline required within this ballet are magnificent. Tonight’s scenery and dancers take me back to all the imagination and dreams this production has evoked throughout my life. I felt somewhat humble not having caught a local production yet. I hope that will change soon, with my network of friends around my area alerting me to something I have missed in advertisements. I hope you perhaps had the chance to see this wonderful production this week or even live around your area. What a lovely holiday tradition it is for me. Tears welled and a lump in my throat through the entire encore.

24 comments:

  1. A beautiful show it is! It's a Christmas tradition- MUST see.
    Those lights look beautiful. I love your night light captures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Steve, I love the Nutcracker also.. So many memories from the preformances all through the years...

    Another Christmas tradition for us is to listen to the Messiah on Christmas Eve.

    Gorgeous Christmas light pictures... I am getting better at taking night light pictures... It's not easy!!!! My hubby got me a monopod--which helps me not 'wiggle'... ha

    Merry Christmas.
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. love it all - the stained glass is vintage!


    Aloha from Honolulu
    Comfort Spiral

    > < } } ( ° >

    ><}}(°>

    < ° ) } } > <

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww you're a softie. But I knew that. Beautiful photography as always, Steve.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Christmas lights.

    The Nutcracker is up there on my list too. I sang in the snowflake scene for every performance of Ballet West's production when I was in college. It was magic. I'll never forget the first time I saw it as a child. When the Christmas tree grew, I just couldn't believe it. And when the Egyptian dancer disappeared behind the scarf, I was mystified. Those feelings are right on the surface every time I see it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've really captured some lovely photos of the Christmas lights in your neighborhood and the beautiful stained glass windows of the church. Your new community is looking very festive.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I sure wish you could come to town with us this weekend. The girls are singing in the choir in the darkened streets with candles lining the sidewalks. You could come alongside us and we could drink spiced wine and hear the bells and the tiny voices, and be together. I'll be thinking of you Steve!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautifuls photos, Steve !
    I love Christmas illumations and lights.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How very pretty! And good luck with the newspaper -- perhaps you will be their new photo-journalist? :)

    PS -- kudos on the Birds and Blooms feature. My MIL gets that magazine. I'll have to ask her to check for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. How fortuitous that you were able to have this experience! I can promise you nothing like this happens here. If I want to travel 50 miles maybe, just maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The only thing I like about this time of year is all the lights.

    ReplyDelete
  12. These all are SO Pretty! I love to look at Christmas lights!
    hughugs

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful photo's, they made me smile.

    Kitty (Moore) x

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have never seen the Nutcracker, though it's produced in Seattle every year around this time. I'm vey familiar with the music, though. I guess the hassle of driving and parking in the city is part of it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm just stopping by different type of blogs and thought id say hello folks. So greetings from an Amish community in Pennsylvania, and wishing everyone a merry Christmas and a healthy and happy new year. Richard from Amish Stories

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love Christmas lights. They are a defense against the darkness. It is 2 pm here in Nashville and already dreary. Say hi to Lily for me!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've been wanting to take a stroll through the neighborhood at night to get some pictures, just haven't had the chance. Enjoy seeing all of yours

    ReplyDelete
  18. My mom used to take us to see All the Christmas lights around town every year. It was a favorite thing for all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've always wanted to go see the Nutcracker.

    Those are some gorgeous lights!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I get that paper in the mail, Steve, and look forward to reading it in a day or two. Congrats and Welcome again to Southwest Iowa.

    I love Christmas lights and your 'passion' for the Arts of all kinds. Shows your caring heart and character of sophistication and integrity!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for sharing the holiday lights, Steve. I have been fortunate enough to see a production of The Nutcracker and it is one of the most wonderful and enduring things about Christmas, among so many others.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love the Christmas lights. I've never been fortunate enough to see the nutcracker, but I do collect them!

    ReplyDelete
  23. The Christmas lights in your neighborhood are beautiful. Would love to see the Nutcracker. Have a great week and a Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete

Keep it positive and informative,I enjoy hearing from you!