Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Rolling Around




 
I am starting to find many treasures around where I am. I have climbed that highest mountain, well at least the tallest Loess ridge, a feat in itself. Shopping has also taken its toll; I am still keeping my other home so getting all new. This going to work each day hasn’t been a priority for over two and a half years, so I am trying to get use to that regime again. It was hard to leave an area I had played hard on, but this area has some of the older prairie remnants for the state. It has been hard getting around to some areas, the Missouri River flooded real bad around me. Many small bridges are still out, and this often is only one way to get into many towns.

It was nice to return to the area. This is a new piece of land to survey between mighty hills and gentle croplands. A familiar sight was a tiny strip of restored prairie that offered a chance to remember a few friends from around my other home. Dried clumps of goldenrod caught the sunlight acting like tiny lanterns to lead the way. A Red-breasted Woodpecker greeted me in almost the same area it had my previous visit. Perhaps this was a sign to return many more times to enjoy this wonderful area. Harvested soybean fields become a challenge for the mountain bike. They are easy down, but hard to navigate up without taking the slope in a series of switchbacks. I laughed today thinking I need a toboggan to exchange for my bike in a few weeks perhaps. If you have one you aren’t using please send it over to me, I have some nice areas to sled. I would love to have you join me.

As I rounded the bend a pair of male Eastern Bluebirds flew off in one direction, while the females went the other. There are a pair of houses nearby I think they are using; maybe they are related staying into near winter. They aren’t ready to pose for a picture yet, I missed them both directions hiking in today. It was nice to hum, “Mister Bluebird” and remember the happiness they give me when I watch them through the summer. This was a slow year for fledglings in this area, only forty-nine found, some years have approached ninety.  When the Missouri River flooded it approached this area through a series of creeks, flooding out the picnic area and trails. The main overland flooding stayed back to preserve this archeological dig. They are trying to locate a Woodland Indian encampment through a series of post holes dug across the area. Some exciting finds drew studies to the area.



 Bittersweet looks almost like Chinese Lanterns


This looked like a squid when I found it in the middle of nowhere. LOL Sometimes I feel so remote, yet I am 20 minutes from Omaha, Nebraska.





17 comments:

  1. Looks like Miss Lily is enjoying her stroll!Hahaaa...and I think I'm "anti-snow"...Lolol...Can't stand the cold!
    Sweet evening!
    hughugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the picture of your dog swimming. I happened to look up Loess Hills on Wikipedia. My little town is listed as the northern most point of the Loess Hills. Your posts have inspired me to finally get out and explore these hills a little bit, so tomorrow will be the day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful area, Steve... How does it feel to be in the working world again??? Don't think I could do it!!! But--as long as you love the job and are in such a great area, that is a huge plus!!!!!

    Have fun!!! Great group of photos.
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice set of photos. Your little doggie looks happy rolling around. Even in the water. Wasn't the water cold? I can see that 'squid" in the tree too..Ha! Take care and enjoy your exploring.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad you're getting settled into your new area and apparently finding as much to enjoy there as in your old location. Lily seems to be having a good time, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. you and your puppy express the joy of life!


    Aloha from Waikiki

    Comfort Spiral

    > < } } ( ° >

    ><}}(°>

    < ° ) } } > <

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do you know why your new home will be beautiful? Because you bring beauty to everything you touch, Steve. I wish I could swing by. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. why is Lilly still swimming? Isn't she the shiver, shiver dog anyway?

    ReplyDelete
  9. My but isn't Lily looking pretty today. Sometimes I daydream about starting over in a new area with new places to explore

    ReplyDelete
  10. Renewed exploration in your new place.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice photos. I will read the french translation tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We often stayed or passed thru Council Bluffs/Ohmaha on our way to Colorado. The Missouri Valley always struck me as a place to explore. Now it will be on to Arizona as my sons family moved there in August.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think we are going to have to schedule a meet up in the spring or summer, Steve. We are just too close not to! Love the photos of Miss Lily. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Toboggan. I remember how precarious a toboggan ride can be. In my youth, the exhilaration prompted me to climb the hill, toboggan rope in hand, time and time again.

    Have a great one - 6 seater - in the rafters of my parent's garage. Christmas gift to my brother in 1963. I got a new Schwinn bike. Toboggan recently claimed by my brother. Good call. He lives in Colorado. I live where there is no snow - or guts to go down the hill if snow showed up.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cute dog - reminds me a lot of my parents' dog.

    Happy sledding! I'm not ready for snow yet.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lily looks as cute as ever. I'm happy to hear you are both enjoying your new home.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I agree with some of the comments. You find beauty wherever you go and that's such a wonderful gift to give. I hope you capture a bluebird photo all I ever get is the flash of blue :O(

    ReplyDelete

Keep it positive and informative,I enjoy hearing from you!