Thursday, November 3, 2011

Moving On

Amazing what happens when one goes into the ER for chest pains with family history.I was given the chance to visit a university teaching hospital and given the royal treatment for the last two days.I know a few are in nursing or have the background, but I kept asking for the spa treatment andf never fully got it. I could not believe they didn't have a pool so will have to look for a nice one while my new digs are being painted and deep cleaned this weekend. I did get a private room and they put up well with my attitude to charm all the nurses and get the job done so I could escape.

Sorry I haven't been around, but I was very impressed coming home from my spa treatment kind of  to be in "The Smitten Image" as one of her posts of the week. I see many of you there and have a great time reviewing her picks each week.Thank you again for the award Hilary!If you haven't visited you will be truly impressed with her site.

 Purple is a color seen on many plants adjusting sugar production with cold temperatures at night.




Most of the Turkey Vultures have left, so it was different to see one lone bird sitting along the lake. They trade off with bald Eagles for area during the winter. Both birds fly south, the eagles have just been in more colder climates.





A deer getting a drink








Lets talk turkey, a treat many enjoy coming up this month for Thanksgiving herte in the states. These wild toms scattered fast when they decided being a photo shot wasn't their cup of tea.It is fun to watch them run, all in single file not sure where to go other than away.

One Thanksgiving I was helping at a care center and sat with four other gentlemen helping them with their meal. After feeding one almost all of his meal and running back and forth for extras I really didn't feel like eating much. I asked about the pie, but it had already been made a puree. The head cook asked to make me at least a sandwich to take along and I declined saying I would pick up something on the way home. Not on a holiday and nothing was open to feed myself. I got home and was thankful to have a can of beans and some tortillas to at least make a small meal. I thought about what puree of pie would be like since many of you know I do like my sweets. Going back another weekend the cook came over with a piece wrapped in some foil and told me I deserved the first piece. She told me she could run it through the grinder if I wanted. I waited until I had some ice cream to put on it later and enjoyed each bite.What is your favorite pie, I would have a hard time picking just one.I like apricot or peach, balck walnut, pecan and coconut cream if it is a good custard.

31 comments:

  1. I certainly hope you're feeling well now and don't have any returns to the "spa" any time soon.

    Mmmmm. Pumpkin pie, sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ack, Steve. I trust everything turned out alright and that you're looking after yourself. Geesh.. don't do that again!

    Lovely photos as always and thank you for the shout out. My favourite pie? It's a toss-up between cherry and lemon meringue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did not mention whether your medical crisis is over. Are you okay? No need to go into personal detail; just let us know that you are well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please take care of yourself and do not stress too much over changes. They are the only constant. Take care of Lily and yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gosh... I'm sorry you didn't get the "spa treatment" you hoped for. :o But then again, you might have had to go to heaven to get it; so maybe that's not such a bad thing after all! ;D
    Glad you're OK and that you got to "charm" the nurses! :)
    Corine :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. take good care of yourself!



    Aloha from Honolulu

    Comfort Spiral

    > < } } ( ° >

    ><}}(°>

    < ° ) } } > <

    ReplyDelete
  7. Did I read right? Chest pains? Are you okay?
    I love the photos, especially the river bank ones and of course Lily.
    I don't think there is a pie I don't like :O)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Everytime I take a lot of pleasure to watch your photos, Steve. I love the first one? Lily running.
    Have a nice week-end !

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful images again.
    And a the narrative.. has it all.
    Have a beautiful weekend.
    Costas

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm hoping your ticker checked out to be solid and ready for another fifty years of beating.

    That you spend time with the less fortunate on Thanksgiving really impressed me. Isn't that what giving thanks is all about? This is my favorite holiday because I get to reflect on the beauty of my surroundings, the wonderful family that surrounds me, and friends and family in different places.

    My favorite pie? Now this is really difficult because I just love pie, but I think my favorite is blueberry pie (with a scoop of vanilla ice cream) but hot apple pie with a slice of sharp cheddar comes in a mighty close second. I'm also a fan of real mince meat pie made with venison, but that's a horse of a different color, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Do love your pics & especially Lilly (ha ha ha) she is sooo cute. Do take care of yourself. Glad you're Ok.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Apparently, things turned out all right for you since you're home after a short visit at the "spa." At least, that's my hope for you. Beautiful autumn pictures here. As for pie, you might want to throw one at me when I tell you I'm not really a fan of pie. I do love chocolate pie, but that's because I love chocolate. Pumpkin pie would probably be next on my list of favorite pies.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just catching up and hope all is well. I'm for most any kind of pie but coconut or raisin cream are top of the list.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sorry I have not been by! I hope you stay out of that "spa" from now on! Loved your pictures, as always and congrats on your POTW!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I hope it was just a scare that sent you in and that all is well.

    Favorite pie? That would have to be peach or pecan but coconut cream comes a close second.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Steve, glad you are home after your short trip to the 'spa'. Take good care of yourself okay? I'm a pecan pie fan :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. SO GLAD you're back from the "spa"!!!! You BETTER be taking care of yourself buddy!!
    Love the shots...Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hope your ok?......Chest pains? Whats this?....No matter what, get well soon.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I hope you're doing better now.

    My favorite pie has always been pumpkin. Apple is pretty good too.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You need to keep yourself out of those "spas" Hope you're feeling better.
    Pie? I like cherry or pecan but then again I wouldn't turn down apple

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Steve, Gee --I'm sorry... I didn't know. BUT--you probably know that I've been in the hospital also.. (We could share some hospital stories I'll bet. ha ha)

    Hope you are okay ---but please take it easy for awhile. That is what I have to do also.
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  22. Take it easy for a bit, Steve -- we don't want to lose you.

    My favorite pie would be mincemeat -- can you believe it? :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Steve, add my well wishes to all those above. Hopefully, you just needed a short rest at the "spa." Hope you are back to feeling well enough to get out there and frolic with Lily who looks like she was having a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Steve, I hadn't seen this, I hope you are okay now. I had a mild coronary in spring. (also a part of my family history.)I'm okay now. But it was very frightening. They were so fantastic and careful at the hospital. Good luck!

    Your pictures are so great with the autumn colours. I love that little dog. She looks so naughty!! I'll bet she likes to twist you around her little paw!

    I would like a pecan pie!
    Take care of yourself!
    Have a nice Sunday!
    Grethe ´)

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a scare, Steve!...I hope you are doing well now and listening to the Doctor...Your pics are beautiful, as always...Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Take it easy. Keep it simple. Onward!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm very happy that you've returned safe and sound from your "spa" visit young man. And I hope you stay safe and sound for many, many years to come.

    Coconut cream.

    ReplyDelete
  28. You have an award over at my blog to pick up, Steve. :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. So sorry about your hospital stay; even if you did get the treatment. :-) You didn't mention any of that in your email, Steve. Humm... You better take care of yourself and very glad you got checked out There are many at your new job who will certainly benefit from your compassion and kindness.

    Big Hug,
    Coreen

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hope you are doing ok and feeling better! I am finally catching up on my reading, so I'm kinda late to post. Beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete

Keep it positive and informative,I enjoy hearing from you!