Saturday, November 26, 2011

Let The Good Times Roll

She slowly moved toward a new toy
Her mother stood near watching intently
She had been touching and learning
While all around joined in animated conversations
The hand stretched toward new horizons
Fingers set to touch all the buttons
I handed it too her, putting the strap around her neck
And created a confusion with her brother
He wanted to join her seeing the attraction
She tried to run, the camera pulling her down
I laughed with a deep heartfelt sigh
Remembering her mother doing the same
So long ago, out on the prairie.






The ripples remain motionless
Frozen in time on a frosty morning
Ice coating, slowly growing across the waters
To where I will skate across it soon
New horizons will be opened
And winter happiness carried across the land
On a gentle prairie breeze.

There is always a charm to be part of a new day, watching the sun peek over the horizon. It is a pleasure always to be part of this awakening, full of simple pleasures for one to enjoy. I am now part of a new holiday season, full of many holiday memories I often share with others. This helps me build new thoughts with old ideas, and find happiness with each new experience. Someone asked what I would like for a gift, and I thought to myself, the gift was sharing our lives together. It is so simple and never that costly to share friendship and love with all we hold dear in our lives.

I spent another day helping carry the boxes upstairs to decorate. This was the second time already I have been the muscle to help decorate for the holiday. I watch as each ornament is carefully placed, an art form in it's own right. I think of all the boxes of lights and decorations I have accumulated over the years, and wish to share a few here, but they have too much as I do too. A trip down memory lane always follows when I help with this. I can still remember my father wanting the biggest turkey, the perfect tree, all part of our family tradition. I remember him trimming off a tree, just so it would fit in our ten foot ceiling. My mother commenting she wanted the smaller of the two,watched him carefully. I wonder now if it was the mess we were making in the living room, a place she always kept so pristine. She stopped him when he threatened to cut the top off, holding up the angel who always adorned our tree. The tree was raised and I was lifted up to place the angel. I always day dreamed looking at her through the years, and gazing at my reflection in the glass ornaments.

29 comments:

  1. Beautiful memories! :D I WANT TO DECORATE AND VISIT WITH FAMILY AND FRIENDS! I love this line: "Someone asked what I would like for a gift, and I thought to myself, the gift was sharing our lives together. It is so simple and never that costly to share friendship and love with all we hold dear in our lives."
    PS. I also look forward to iceskating again. :) I feel as though I strolled down memory lane along with you; thanks!
    Corine :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. PPS. The baby is BEAUTIFUL! :) I always love your nature photos, but she is best photo of the day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a Sweet little girl!!
    And Loved your Christmas memory...when it's all said and done, that's all we have left.
    hughugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely, lovely post. Thanks, Steve.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have many happy memories of your past. Thank you for sharing them, Steve.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Trips down memory lane - isn't it amazing what triggers those memories? A sound, a smell . . . can take you back to another time so quickly

    ReplyDelete
  7. The gift is sharing our lives together and it is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. One of your best posts ever! Family and place is nearly every thing, and you have found your heart in both.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such beautiful memories. And, this baby is sooooooooo cute!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a cute little granddaughter you have. But I'm afraid I could neither have laughed nor put that camera around her little neck for fear of her breaking it. Maybe you need to get her a little digital camera of her own. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. a love of photography moving down through the generations huh? :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your story makes me think of my own situation. I always wished my family could keep Christmas ornaments for many years at a time. Ours would only last for a few years before they were gone. We moved around so much that it was just impossible. This year it will once again be a time of lost ornaments for me. I guess I'm used to it by now. I guess both ways of doing things have fond memories.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I always have lots of Christmas goodies. If you send me your address I'll send some your way!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are making such wonderful memories! You are so blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think Christmas time always brings up the most memories. It's always a happy time of the year for kids. I'm waiting for snow. It's still unusuallyw arm here. Your Prairie photos look like they are waiting for snow also. What an adorable picture of your little granddaughter Steve. You are brave to let her have the camera around her neck. My granddaughters sometimes want to take pictures with mine but I am always watching them for fear of them dropping it.. I could never afford a new one. Love your memories. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those family Christmas memories are the best....

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful memories of old and in the making. That little sweetie is so adorable with her questioning eyes and kissable lips.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a sweet little girl. Christmas memories are very special and I'm glad you have such good ones :O)

    ReplyDelete
  19. It's very intriguing and attractive a big camera for such a little girl.
    Nice serie, Steve!
    I appreciate a lot your visits and comments on my blog. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lovely memories, Steve. She's so cute your little granddaughter.
    Grethe ´)

    ReplyDelete
  21. She is a cute little one. Hopefully, as she grows older, she'll develop similar special holiday memories to yours.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love ice coated waters.
    What a beautiful post! And that first sweet photo too:)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Steve, reading the previous comments, it appears that the little one is your granddaughter and she is precious. We really miss our nearly 5-month old granddaughter and won't see her until after Christmas this year. You are so right in that the gift of spending time with family/friends is the most previous and prioceless as well. We are keeping the holiday very simple this year with minimal decorations, but of course a tree and nativity set and lights too.

    ReplyDelete
  24. What pretty pictures and beautiful memories!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your granddaughter is adorable. Love the pictures and words.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Beautiful words and images.

    Kitty (Moore)

    ReplyDelete
  27. You have a inspirational heart...
    truly

    ReplyDelete
  28. This is so nostalgic, it catches in my throat.

    ReplyDelete
  29. thanks so much for stopping by my place earlier. what lovely pictures here and such a different landscape from what i am used to.

    ReplyDelete

Keep it positive and informative,I enjoy hearing from you!