Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Holiday Happiness

 I called to her to get her attention
She turned, golden hair glowing in the sunlight
We stood far apart contemplating each other
And then continued walking in different directions
Enjoying our day out on the prairie.





It is a week of happiness for many as we enjoy a Thanksgiving feast with family and friends.Many forget what they are thankful for until this day, but I have to say I am thankful to have a new area to explore and enjoy. This is a tough change for us flatlanders. A simple hike often is up or down the beautiful rolling hills. The fauna is all new also to enjoy, I forgot how plush the tall grass prairie was until I left it. This is an area with some of the older prairie remnants in the state, but most has met it's fate with agriculture and grazing. When you walk out over the hills the difference in variety is a new treat, just like taking a child into a candy store. I have been greeted by a few bluebirds still, I wonder what they find to eat this time of year.

We need to take a moment and look into our lives as the holidays all approach and not be overwhelmed with them. I always look for continued happiness and hope all of you can take a little time and do the same. I took my van in for servicing last night and wandered through a huge shopping complex looking through the stores.I laughed thinking of standing in the Barbie aisles,wondering what my children didn't already have. Then I realized there were many who didn't have a whole lot for their holidays, so we gathered a variety of dolls my kids liked and placed them in the Toys for Tots box, teaching my children the true meaning of the holidays. This expanded each year, and we soon had this as part of our family tradition.The trees with wish cards are fun for me, it only takes a small gift to make someones life happy. Remember when you are enjoying the holidays with those close to you that the gift of love is the most precious gift we receive in life and have a great holiday season.

18 comments:

  1. Now she is a beauty...that with the "golden" hair:)

    What a wonderful lesson in giving and gratefulness Steve!

    Happy Thanksgiving to you- my American friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful scenery and I love the cow with the shaggy coat. It's definitely a time to be thankful for our many blessings, and to share those with others in need is another blessing. Many blessings to you and your loved ones, and Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wise words, Steve.

    I'm glad you got that lovely gift of acknowledgement in that first image. She's a beauty.

    I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bluebirds in Nashville eat pokeberries off the dried up stalks. Tennessee has berries galore for birds-holly, callicarpa, multiflora rose hips. Happy Thanksgiving to you, Steve!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well said, Steve. I loved the golden-haired beauty in the first picture. :) Happy Thanksgiving to you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well said! Best of the holiday to you and yours. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am poor in cash but rich in all the things that matter. Have a great holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amen Steve! Lovely post today...You have a Happy Thanksgiving!!! Love the shots!
    hughugs

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful thoughts for the holidays. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours

    ReplyDelete
  10. Steve, what a lovely sentiment and oh so true...why does it take the holidays to remind us we have so much to be thankful for?
    Have a blessed day with your family!

    ReplyDelete
  11. HAPPY THANKSGIVINGDAY, Steve !
    Have a nice day !

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love that furry cow! Having a new place to explore is always so much fun. I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

    Also, if you happened to have followed me yesterday, can you stop by and let me know? My GFC box isn't showing my new followers anymore, and I like to try to follow back.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love and sharing with others - such great life lessons.

    Wonderful shots too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wish more folks would realize that it's not the gifts that's in their hand, but the one in their heart that matters. Wishing you and your a wonderful Thanksgiving, Steve. Thankful to have met you through blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the heritage cattle. So interesting.

    And you and I have the same idea about upcoming holiday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. i LOVE the cow. What a fuzzy little monster :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such a sweet face she has and such wonderful thoughts and reminders. Happy Thanksgiving to you too. I'm a bit late but I hope it was wonderful.

    ReplyDelete

Keep it positive and informative,I enjoy hearing from you!