Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Daniel


Robert Burns was here


1854







Looks like the foothills almost
He was a rambunctious five year-old twin with a sister.I invited he and his other three siblings for a river hike. This time of year the water is low and the sandbars are huge, sometimes for miles with minimal wading.I had pointed out a few items I always looked at when hiking and told a few tales of great finds.Soon his backpack became lower and lower, full of some of the best of finds. Almost anything I pointed at was a frenzy to get it in their sacks, but he often was the first.I didn't realize this until he was getting clear behind the pack with his pack too heavy to carry.I was impressed at my influence in choices, and always enjoyed taking his group to give relief to his parents. His older sister finally told me and I ended up carrying all back to my van for him.He kept having me stop to show me a special treasure he knew I would like.

18 comments:

  1. I love your vignettes at the bottom of your post, can almost put myself there. Lovely photos as always. The church is very pretty too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are these the Loess Hills? So interesting. And what was Daniel picking up? Rocks? Fossils?

    ReplyDelete
  3. that looks like such a happy place. Why even the grass is smiling :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Someone went to a lot of trouble to make that smiley face in the grass. It's probably hard to see unless you're flying over it. I enjoyed the photos, but they're a little different than the prairie pictures I'm used to seeing here. :) Hope all is going well with the new job and new lodging. Is Lily confused?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great set of photos, Steve. I LOVE that little church.. Awesome.
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is something so charming about an old church. And as for filling up your bag as you go for a nature walk, I know the feeling. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. All the shots are Great Steve! Hope you're feeling well and happy today!
    hughugs

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your pictures look like the beautiful places I get to see every day now, especially the hills.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds, and looks, like a delightful day!! You're the best.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your old cemetery and church. looks like nice territory out there.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The contrast between the wild/rural prairie and the developed areas is striking. Couldn't stop my eyes from moving back and forth, comparing the two.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Welcome to my neck of the woods, Steve.

    PS -- I have you an award on my blog a couple of days ago, but neglected to advise you. Go check it out when you have time. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome pictures as always and a sweet memoriable story at the end. Hope you're having a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What great photos (as usual) and I love the story!! Those Young minds, so full of joyful curiosity! May we never outgrow it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Steve, good luck on the new position and certainly hope you are feeling better. Enjoyed these photos which as another person said are different from other posts. Children are so curious and hold simple things as treasures.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awesome pictures, Steve!! This time you know they are so familiar to me. :-) Enjoy your new home!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great captions of the solitary trees, and your journey. Children see the treasures in so many things that we take for granted.

    ReplyDelete

Keep it positive and informative,I enjoy hearing from you!