Wednesday, October 19, 2011

The Swing







Up and down
With fairy wings
A dance of life
Continues on and on.








 We mowed and hayed this section to spread the prairie love on a new area.

I saw a homemade swing sitting in a yard and it took me back into my early childhood. My parents best friends, who had introduced them, we called aunt and uncle. What a shock to find out in my adult years that we were not related. These were the people we spent many good times with, and shared important parts of our lives. They were the first to have a television and we often spent weekends over at their house watching Disney, Ed Sullivan, Red Skeleton  and a host of early television shows. My father wasn't sure he appreciated this technology and bought our family a new Hi-fi instead, since music warms the heart and heals the soul. For a quite a few years we never had a television in our home, going over to their home often. Sometimes the women were giving perms and sewing while we all wrestled on the floor for a good spot. Eventually someone gave us their old set and we joined the ranks of Americans watching television.

My uncle was a plumber, having his own business out of their home. With new work came the old pipes he took out and stacked in the back of their acreage.One day he decided to build a swing set for all the kids to play on. This wasn't something he had ever done before, and surprised all who came to watch his work of art grow. It wasn't going to be lessened by the swings at the park, his would be just as big if not bigger than many. A glider seat was made from old metal tractor seats, huge for us to sit on, but fun to offer more to our imaginations while playing. The top of the support was over twenty feet tall and a thrill to get the swings going up high. With four swings, a trapeze , rings and a glider this swing set could hold both families. We flew jet aircraft, raced to the stars, and even assembled as a family playing house. The glider became horses and we often were members of a famous circus act on the trapeze and rings. Hours were spent on this work of art.

What a pleasure it was to see this tinier version of a swing set in my travels. I wanted to watch the kids come and play, reliving old memories. When I have seen friends wrestle with the commercially produced sets I often ask them what they are going to do with all the leftover nuts and bolts that were left out. The swings could never fly as high as the one I played on at my aunt's and uncle's home. A few at the parks rivaled them and were always reminders of the huge one put together by my uncle. Going back years later, the city had moved around their rural home and I was saddened to see the swings gone, with a home built where they once were. I laughed thinking about the labor of love slowly being taken apart, and how heavy all the pieces were that made this creation.

16 comments:

  1. Love that pond!....Always amazes me how life goes on. Even when winter sets in! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! I almost missed the butterfly! How beautiful it IS!
    hughugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those old swing sets really were nice. I met someone could make money reproducing them as they were at that time. Squeaks and all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such beautiful pictures, and the butterfly. Wow. I enjoyed it all.
    It didn't matter they were not your family, they were donerful people who gave you a great time. They will always be remembered with love. It is a wonderful story.Thank you.
    Grethe

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely thoughts in seasons.Beautiful photos

    ReplyDelete
  6. We had a swing set exactly like that one growing up. How many hours did we spend swinging back and forth? :) Thanks for the memory.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely fall pictures, Out On The Prairie. The swings tell their own tale.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That butterfly looks like a buckeye. I have never seen one in the wild. Enjoyed you childhood memory.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What gorgeous photos those are, autumn is progressing quite nicely there.
    Love the story about the swing set. I had a few of those aunts and uncles when I was growing up but we always knew that they weren't actual relatives. None of them ever made such a cool sounding swing set though

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nice photos Steve. Love that huge pond. I'm surprised the Butterfly is still around. It blends in so nicely you can hardly notice it. The only swing I ever swung on when I was a kid was at the local park and when I was real small my Grandparents had tire swings on their trees. Or a piece of old board for a seat. I loved swinging as high as I could. Now I go through that old park and the swings are gone but the frame is still there and it looks much smaller than I remember..It's nice to have fond memories.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your Uncle sounds like quite a character. Non relatives are often better than real ones.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful colors of Fall, Steve. The butterfly is very beautiful too.
    This morning we had the first white frost. Brrrr !

    ReplyDelete
  13. We have an old squeaky swing set that belonged to our neighbor. It must be 60 years old. And I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You painted such a vivid word picture of your "aunt and uncle" and the love shared by your families and the wonderful old swing set. I felt as if I were experiencing your memories myself. Great photographs, too. Beautiful butterfly, especially.

    ReplyDelete
  15. what a great memory and a great swing set. probably wouldn't be allowed now...too dangerous to swing that high. kids nowadays aren't allowed even a tiny speck of danger in their lives. oh my, Johnny might get a bruise or a scrape.

    ReplyDelete

Keep it positive and informative,I enjoy hearing from you!