Friday, October 21, 2011

From The Past Into The Present


Colors that blend over the land
Like an impressionist painting
Done by Nature's hand
Always carry a special charm
Out on the prairie.
 A cluster of Red Milkweed Beetles



 A Buckeye and four Pearl Crescents gather on some road apples.



I was getting a shot of this dragonfly when a tiny grasshopper joined the frame.





This reminded me of the song by Kansas,"Dust In The Wind" on a windy fall day






Soft moonbeams caressed the road in front of me. The full moon lit the way as I traveled through the early morning a few hours before sunrise. A few small storms began to form to either side of me and soon were behind me with their tiny light shows of lightening. Very few people were moving at this beautiful time and it showed me many thoughts and feelings I had set aside. I thought how I had spent many full moons this summer in my tent, waking to see my world lit up. It is a restful phase I enjoy , wanting to be outdoors and bask in it's happiness. As the sun rose behind me it tried to peek through the storm clouds, and only showed at intermittent moments to remind the world a new day had begun. Traffic began to pick up on the tiny two-laned road and I met many people I may never meet again. I am but a traveler, from the past into the present.

17 comments:

  1. Love your closing line, and I do enjoy those pre-dawn hours on the road, watching the sun come up and even seeing the traffic pick up as the world starts a new day for us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the second picture of the soft, muted colors of the field...simply beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. it's looking wintery out there. I guess one of the things I miss most about river camping trips is sleeping out under the night sky.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hej Steve! As you write on the top, your time "out on the prairie" is an exciting adventure. I love that last picture of the moon over the land. Can feel the frersh air. All the other photos too. That butterfly is Buck's Eye I suppose? Its pattern is so fine and clear, it looks like it's quite "new". I wondered about the bird's feather, which bird might it be? The dragonfly looks like a red libellula. Don't know what it is in English. Sorry I've got so many questions. Are you on horseback?
    Grethe the Curious ´)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful description of a lovely beginning.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Although the peak of colors has passed, there are still many beautiful things to see. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've missed my visits here and it's good to be reading and looking at all these marvelous photos. Thanks for stopping by Steve, your caring comments have been very much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazing, just today I was thinking about how much I loved buckwheat in flower and clusters of dried milkweed! Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That last photo of the full moon over the farm is just beautiful, Steve.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice photos. Love the moon but all those beetles are a bit creepy..Ha! Have a nice weekend Steve.

    ReplyDelete
  11. love walking through your post!



    Aloha from Waikiki;

    Comfort Spiral



    > < } } ( ° >

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very beautiful photos, Steve. I love your full moon even it is not my friend.
    Have a nice week-end.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful butterfly, I remember that song and your photo would have made a great album cover. I saw that moon and was wishing I could capture it so now I can admire yours

    ReplyDelete
  14. ohhh, that was lovely Steve. I liked the photos but the text stuck...sometimes I wonder if I'm a traveler at heart.

    ReplyDelete
  15. it's always a pleasure to stop by here and see your gorgeous photos. Happy trails to you :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those milkweed pods are lovely! Let that wind howl!

    ReplyDelete

Keep it positive and informative,I enjoy hearing from you!