Sunday, October 30, 2011

End of October

I was mean and sent this shot to a few friends saying I had thought about them a bit and had something to say, but had forgotten what it was. This is the mare for the not so little Belgium colt in the next photo I have been watching, along with another sibling farther down. They will do a variety of farm work in their lives.

Who needs to go very far to see the deer, these are in a neighbors yard.











Some Halloween themed pictures.
A friends mother was famous for her homemade treats and for Halloween she always made popcorn balls. Now my father always liked them, but never could get us to part with much so one year put on a scary mask he had bought with some coveralls and went treating to her home."You look a little old," she said when he grunted holding out his sack. He held out again and demanded another with another grunt so as not to give his identity away. "One more and you need to go along," she said, grateful to rid her porch of him. He waited and came back after a few other crowds. She scolded him and he stood holding out his sack. She threatened to call the cops and off he went, asking one of us to go and get him another. She sent all her leftovers to him when she found out who had played the trick on her.

22 comments:

  1. I remember seeing Belgian and Percheron work horses when I was young. I rode one once too. He had a back as wide as a twin bed. Nonetheless, my brother and I- holding on to each other and not the horse- Promptly fell off!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is just too funny about the popcorn balls. I'm picturing a grown man dressed in costume grunting for treats and having a good chuckle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely Colt, look at those legs! Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Deer next door--how great would that be!! Beautiful fall trees in all their glory--all in all, some wonderful shots of "the prairie!! Love your story too--people will go to all lengths to get what they want. Have a terrific week. Mickie :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your dad must have had a fine-tuned sense of humor. And the friend's mom had a generous heart. Many of our local Amish farm with Belgians, but some are switching over to Percherons. They're all beautiful, especially in the summer, with their sleek coats.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful pictures - I love the trees with the splendid colurs. And how I love that horse.
    Grethe

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ahhh, love the photos...but the memory was fantastic! My grandmother use to make the BEST popcorn balls ever and gosh, I so miss them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL your father was a wise man!

    Love the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the mare picture, but I've always been a horse lover. You're so lucky to be able to be so close to the deer.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Neat memory and beautifully studly horses. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great story, now that's a good neighbor and an awesome father :O)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your Dad sure was a character.. and reminds me of my own Dad. Thanks for sharing that tale and your always-beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh very beautiful pictures. Those deer look VERY comfortable in your neighbors yard!

    Big hugs
    Leontien

    ReplyDelete
  14. What fine horses these are! I love their large frames and solid form. Late October marks the end of most things green. I like to think that it is like the evening when they prepare for rest. Winter, the long sleep, is not far away.

    ReplyDelete
  15. how cute. great shots of the beautiful horses and deer, btw. and congrats on your POTW!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautifu animals and landscapes.
    I have the chance to see two deers in the neighbor' s poplar trees.

    http://du-four-au-jardin-et-mes-dix-doigts.blogspot.com/2010/03/et-de-deux.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. The autumn colors are beautiful, Steve. And the story about your father and the neighbor was wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Heh, heh... I could picture my Dad doing that, though he was more of a Snickers man.

    Funny you have the colorful trees out on the prairie this year. Here in New England, all we have is green... and brown. Odd weather = no color.

    congratulations on your potw,

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nothing like homemade popcorn balls. I haven't had one since I was a little girl.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hahahaha! Your dad sounds like much fun. Enjoyed this visit to your world. Truly beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Keep it positive and informative,I enjoy hearing from you!