Friday, October 28, 2011

The Colors Are Still Around

 Gentle rise begins
Of a new day sun
Time never ends
It has just begun
To bring a smile again.


While passing a pond full of ducks and a duck blind on the edge I was surprised at the variety until I got home and blew my pics up to see them better. I loved this group of wood ducks, but on later investigation found they were decoys, as well as all I shot pictures of so far away. I laughed thinking about a time on the Gulf of Mexico near Corpus Christi, Texas of sneaking up on a female Mallard and finding she had floated away from her covey of decoys elsewhere. I brought her home as a treasure of my fun.

A recent stocking of trout in a pond near my home drew out some local spectators to watch, much to the annoyance of a little dog already protecting us from a squirrel who watched from a nearby cottonwood.





This group of forest creatures were all trying to hide. Not the best picture but looking close you can see two wild turkey between the two deer, there were about a dozen of them. They are a fast bird with keen eyesight and hard to get close to.









Everything is turning gold, but still a wealth of colors around us. I am traveling back and forth across the state looking at housing in the Loess Hills area of Iowa. These are some of the oldest remnants of prairie in the state and a delight to explore along the Missouri River. This type of geology is only in this area and an area in China, so it will be a treat to enjoy and help preserve. I am keeping my present home also so I can go back and forth while exploring, about a three hour drive. I will be falling back on my Psychology background and will be working at a state hospital. Talking to a realtor yesterday she asked what I do and I jokingly said I was a Lobotomist, and I think she thought I might draw blood.I will be working within residential treatment with retarded adults. It is an area I have worked around before at varying levels through the years. When I first moved here I taught in a high school with low IQ behavioral students. I am not sure how long it will be before I get all the Internet and things going, so have patience with me.I enjoy sharing with my friends and don't ever like to miss reading what you have to say.

One apartment I found in a nearby town is next to the library, which would be a plus for someone like me anyway, and there is a bike trail that would take me the twelve miles I have to go to work. I don't know a single soul  around, but that was the case where I am now when I arrived. The town I will be working in is only 3200 people so I am sure you get to know everyone fairly quick. It is a tough move for me to give up many areas I go to and have worked on around me.I cruised the other day thinking I still have a large love for these scenic historic hills and having Amish neighbors around me.To me home is where you hang your hat.

Another hallmark is I have taken 9000 pics with a camera I started breaking in one year ago. It has become a close friend indeed, although there are a few others I would like to have. It was hard to change over from another I had taken so many miles with me.I of course don't save all those shots, but do have an extensive library of the better ones.I made fun of a friends latest slide show for a program featuring a few I had shared with her.She put together a butterfly exhibit with 25 separate species photos I took around the area at a local conservation center where she works as a naturalist.Makes my head swell just walking in there!

Keep those comments coming in I savor hearing from each of you, my blog community is a special group for me.I will leave you with how I begin a number of programs :

Attention, attention! (crossing my arms and holding myself) I just love attention!

24 comments:

  1. Goodness you have a Lot on your plate for this time of the year! Good luck with the move!
    LOVE Lily's pumpkin jacket!Hahaaa
    hughugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah! Dont know where you find the time for all this, and a move too! But shouldnt complain, its always a pleasure to read your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow you! There's a lot going on in your world!!! I am so glad you take the time to savor the colors and nature. I bet that helps you Breathe!!
    Glad to hear you'll be near a library. Oh...and the bike trails:D
    Take care and have a wonderful weekend Steve!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're leaving this beautiful place? That must be difficult but I know you'll find great beauty wherever you may be and we'll all be the better for it.

    Best of luck to you in everything you do. Just find yourself an internet connection real soon. I'll be waiting for my prairie fix.

    Safe travels.. and much positive attention. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have some big changes afoot. It sounds like it will be an interesting change and I'm certain you'll find your way to many new adventures.

    I see Lily is wearing her Halloween outfit. What a sweetie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are some great pictures, Steve. You consistently manage to capture lovely shots. I almost overlooked that very first image in its small size; but, when I enlarged it, I saw what a truly beautiful photograph it was. And a couple of those deer shots are calendar quality. I would have missed the turkeys, though, if you hadn't pointed them out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful pictures. It always pays to look at them closely. Good luck with your move and the new job.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck with the move. I'm sure you'll get to know everyone quickly in that size community. It sounds like an adventure :O). I love the wood duck story, that's what would happen to me. Congrats on the butterfly exhibit, that's an awesome accomplishment. I'll be looking forward to hearing about the move.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am a great fan of living in town. A library next door would be wonderful as well. I bet you will like it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like you might be moving a bit closer to me? How exciting!

    All of the photos are gorgeous, Steve.. but I like the deer especially. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. you sure don't sit still much do you? :) Best of luck and look forward to hearing all the new adventures that you and Lily find

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful pictures, as always. I think you are now my closest blogging neighbor. I'm pretty sure the hills where I'm living are the northern part of the Loess Hills. I'm a little north of Sioux City.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You sure got some nice photos here Steve! I laughed about the duck decoys.. That's funny. You have lots of color there yet. Ours is just about gone and we had snowflakes yesterday. Some places up over the hill got a few inches and tomorrow towards the East they might get ten inches!! Yikes!! It's too early! I love your little doggie's sweater!! Those deer pics are real nice! saw my deer today. They have bumps all over them. The poor things. I'm wondering if it's ticks. All four deer are covered in bumps.
    Good luck with your move. It can't be easy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. wonderful captures!



    Aloha from Honolulu

    Comfort Spiral

    > < } } ( ° >

    ReplyDelete
  15. Busy, busy, man! I wish you all the best in everything you decide to do but mostly I with you joy in doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. May each and every thing you do bring you joy!

    (hopefully this comment one will post, the first one went up in cyberspace)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, Steve ! What a wonderful serie. Some of these photos are really beautiful. Deers remind me I saw some in the mountains when we drove quad
    with our friends. It was in the south of Utah.
    HAPPY HALLOWEEN !

    ReplyDelete
  18. Aww Steve, I will follow you wherever you go. What a courageous thing you're doing! Please forward me your new mailing address because I have somethin' up my sleeve for you. Thanks. You've been waiting long enough for it - and I'm sure it will make you feel loved and hugged in your new home.

    I'll be in Kansas next week - and I'll say a prairie prayer for you. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  19. Steve, we will be following you wherever you go. Good luck on the new job and new location - living next to a library is a good thing as these are places we always go to on our road trips (free internet is a good thing!) and a bike trail nearby is wonderful. Always enjoyed your photos and stories. Lily is really into Halloween already - very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Steve, been having some issues with posting on other blogs lately, so hope the last post got through - wishing you the best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What beautiful images! You have inspired me to run out with my camera (between planting bulbs) I have planted about 600 so far and only around 300 left. I hope the moles don't get them.

    I ordered a few wildflower seeds yesterday. (some royal catchfly, fire pinks and v-bluebells) I hope they bloom next year! I can't remember if I asked you but do you recommend any certain place to buy seed? Talk to you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Giving credit where credit is due. Your blog is one of the best I have seen and I have been blogging since Jan of 07. Your photography skills are wonderful. Photography is something for me that makes me temporarily forget everything else and I have an idea it is for you also. Your photos are awesome and your love of sharing it shows through!

    My own blog has been suffering, for several reasons, Facebook being the main one : ) but I am hoping to get back to regular posts now the weather is changing and I no longer have the outside work ( I shouldn't call it work as I love every bit of it).

    Good luck with your new endeavor! Change always brings new opportunities.

    ReplyDelete

Keep it positive and informative,I enjoy hearing from you!