Friday, September 2, 2011

Lazy Daze


A leaf floats
Gently along
Leaving behind
Only a memory.




 The ripples in this stream made a light show under this stone bridge.

 A frog using a leaf for some cover.









My bucket overflows today.This morning I got tired of throwing back striped bass, and filled it with some bragging size fish. I was fishing out on a point on the lake taking in the sights around me, feeling rather lazy.Sitting back in my chair, my rod suddenly flipped out of its holder and went into the lake, a fish pulling it away.I ran after it and caught it in about two feet of water. I reeled in an enormous bass, deciding to eat it if it was going to steal my equipment. Unfortunately I had my pockets full of keys, phone and billfold, plus I was wearing my better pair of tennis shoes. It just gave me an excuse to wade out in the surf, and get a better cast.

A blue jay flies close, chatting up a storm.It's mate followed up a line of trees along the clearing. Chatter was following her making me think they had babies following. Soon a cardinal and flycatcher chased the couple down the way. A catbird sent them out of sight, calling out to each other with their anguish.They were unwelcome guests in this part of the forest.

The bucket again was full, this time with cold water. It is funny how one might improvise when the temperature exceeds your body temperature. I am sitting with my feet in the cold water to keep cool at my campsite.This is a time of year you still expect it to happen. When the weatherman said a few days of cool I raced to play in it. A front changed  and set us back into near record temperature, with some hope to enjoy the cool. At sunrise it was already warm, but stiff winds made it feel cooler.A breeze tells me it may not stick around. The waves were nice to swim in, imagining hints of being on the ocean.

A few more families trickled in to the beach. One close by had four children playing in the surf with their mom. The oldest was floating on a raft with a life jacket on, humming a tune to himself. Looking cool in his sunglasses he blocked the  world away, while his mother corralled the younger kids. Soon a few castles were being built in the sand. A huge boat pulls up and all the people get out, and joined the sand castle building. Everyone from the boat handed rocks and driftwood to their resident artist to use. A few college kids began to bury a friend and a little dog rolled in the sand. I am still at the beach somewhat, with my bucket of water to stay cool.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

18 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are having a fabulous time, Steve... I laughed at your pictures of the ONE leaf blowing around. The reason I laughed is that our yard is ALREADY full of leaves --and it's just Sept. 2.... We are very dry here --and the leaves are turning brown and falling off of the trees... Looks like October --except for the severe heat!!!! Wish I were with you!
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahaa....Thank GOODNESS that big fish didn't haul you out to the middle of the lake!!
    Bet it was fun though!
    Enjoy your wonderfully Lazy vacation!
    hughugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was scrolling through your beautiful pictures of horse and leaf and water and frog and lovely butterflies, and then I encountered that awful spider. I may have nightmares tonight. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. it sounds like a perfect way to spend a day to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad your "bucket overflowed"--sounds like you had a terrific day. Love, absolutely love, all of your photos--such great captures. Have a weekend overflowing with joy. Mickie :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks and sounds wonderful. We've been having similar weather.. cool then excessively hot. I love summer so I'm grateful for every record-setting warm day. Your photos, as always, are beautiful. I love the first leaf shot, in particular.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like a beautiful day spent in nature. Love the falling leaf. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh how I love your photos Steve.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sound like a fun day. I had a similar experience with a big ole carp on the Mississippi on day. Pulled my rod out of the forked stick as I was walking back to my pickup to get the cooler. I got soaked on that quick turnaround and retrieve. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always like seeing a horse and carriage. At least something from the past is still with us. Great photos of the butterflies and that huge bee.If that's what it is. Love that hollow tree trunk also. And the Bluebird box just sitting out there all empty now. Reminds me of the ones my sister used to have. I love frogs but don't get to see any because I'm stuck inside and can't walk on uneven ground to go find some.. The elaves remind us that fall is upon us and soon winter will be back. I don't look forward to that. Have a nice weekend! PS....Sitting on a beach sounds like fun. Those days are long gone. I liked your story.

    ReplyDelete
  11. yes i love the pictures again, EXCEPT... the spider!

    no fans for spiders no matter how artistic the picture is! ;-)

    have a great weekend
    Leontien

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the photographs of that leaf. I've just been watching a documentary on the history of film-making and those photographs of the leaf's journey reminds me of early films. A day's fishing sounds grand. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. i love the leaf in the wind..and the grass coming out of the tree cavity, very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like the perfect day to match the beautiful photos

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a lovely post! That leaf is forever captured and made a part of our world through your lens! Really special shots! I know what you mean about cool days after warm (hot!) ones! I was just sitting out on the veranda with my little cat so enjoying the coolness of this September morning. Mind, it is still hot...but with a freshness lacking a month ago!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your photos of the floating leaf.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds like a wonderful getaway that keeps getting better and better, Steve.

    ReplyDelete
  18. There you are. This is such good Steve-writing. I wish I could have threw back some bass with you. :)

    Amazing pictures of leaves, Steve!!

    ReplyDelete

Keep it positive and informative,I enjoy hearing from you!